Rest questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SuperKirby, Feb 23, 2015.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at a new rest for the Carbon Cure. Right now at the top of my list is the QAD HDX. Also on the list is the Rip Cord Code Red and Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. My question is if one system is better than the other? If both cable activated rests have a lock feature, does it matter if the rest works off the cable vs. the limb?
    Any advice on these two or if there's another I should check out I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks.

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i don't really have that much expertise in "tech" stuff, but I can say that i have used the trophy taker smackdown pro and will continue to use it. aside for being reliable and rock solid, it's crazy quiet.

3. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to second the Smackdown Pro. The other two are a little more noisy for what it's worth. How much does it matter? I don't know. Have taken elk and whitetail using the Ripcord Code Red.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just my two sense ....I like limb driven rests from easy set up and additional downward stiffness they provide, make tuning a breeze. I dont always follow that advise myself but anyhow i found it to be the case.

5. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to shoot vaportrail when they had the limbdriven monopoly. But the TT was just so much quieter, that I couldn't pass it up

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    G5 makes a rest that is limb driven, I might be biased, because I use it currently, but its tenability and setup is a breeze, little noise and weighs nothing. Great rest

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had the Trophy Taker Smackdown and it is a good rest. I didn't like the fact that the arrow would move around when an arrow was nocked and you moved your bow. I have the QAD HDX on both my Mathews bows. Both are quiet. If they do make noise, I have never noticed it. The QAD HDX is an AWESOME rest and you won't be disappointed if you buy it.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the QAD HDX. I find them very easy to set up, they have never needed re-adjusted, and mine are quiet. I took two deer last season; 1 at 18 yards, 1 at 22 yards. If the rest was noisy it would cause an issue at those ranges, and it did not.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    All are good rests, I personally am not a fan of having stuff attached to my limbs and I don't like having the cord run from the center of my bow to the limb... just my $.02. There is nothing wrong with the smack down. I like the Apache Micro for the weight, or lack thereof.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The bow noise would be the issue... if your rest is louder than the bow, you have serious problems.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of people say QAD's are loud, and what you just typed was exactly point :) .

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometime QAD can make noise when the launcher hits the shelf. An easy fix it is a piece of sanders quiet cushion on the shelf....

13. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Schaffer Opposition Light arrow rest. It fully holds the arrow which is great for walk and stalk hunting. Check out the YouTube videos. image.jpg

14. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just another thought on limb driven vs. cable connection..... most factory strings constantly stretch, and new custom strings may stretch/settle after a dozen shots or so. That being said, any cable connection may go out of tune after the initial setup. If you'd like to have a "no-fuss" bow, choose a limb driven. Vapor Trail has several to choose from... and great strings if your in the market (now 10% off in preparation for spring turkey season) Setup is quicker and easier than the QAD. Everyone has their own preference, good luck!

15. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used qad and ripcord rests. The HDX will cost you a bit more than the code red, but I personally like it better, it's quieter and built a bit tougher from what I have noticed. I've had an HDX and the past and sold it along with my mathews Reezen at the time. Since then I've had 2 code reds. I shoot my bow tons and never had any major issues until last yr when the arm of the ripcord would not fall down all the way. I did send the rest in to ripcord and they sent me back a brand new rest. Great customer survice, emailed and got a reply within hrs. On my new hoyt however I will make the switch back to an HDX. I think personally they are the best drop away rest. What I like about them both is that they aren't to large like is smack down is but that is a personal preference. My buddy has a smack down and he really likes it. They are all some of the top rests you can buy, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I just prefer the HDX because from my experiences it's the quietest, never had any problems with mine, it's built solid and it's reliable, a bonus also is that the arm will stay in the up position if you let down from full draw which is nice I've you'd ever have to do that. All in all they are all good rests and easy to install on your own.

16. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the main reasons that I choose the Schaffer over the HDX is because with the HDX you have to reset after every shot. With the Opposition rest all you do is noc an arrow and draw. It's a minor functional adjustment, but sometimes archers miss.

17. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD's don't make noise hitting the shelf if they don't hit the shelf... Proper setup is everything.

18. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD HDX, buy it and never look back. Quiet, reliable, easy to tune, consistent, reliable