Tools to get started with whole bow setup at home

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Aaron Jones, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the following pictures, I have a list of tools that I am willing to buy to start doing my own work on my bow. The only other things I can think of is a bow press and a bow vise. Lucky for me my brother is a really phenomenal welder and builder so he is building me a bow press just like the homemade linear bow press in the DIY section. I gave him pictures and a blue print that i found online. So the only other thing i will need is a bow vise but i feel like i can get that at a later point. I will just rig something up to hold my bow. Also there are two other things i will get in addition to this list : a string and arrow level. Eder's was currently out of stock on these particular items.

So is my list have the necessities needed to start doing this work? Is there anything else i need to add? Is there a place where you find these items cheaper? Of course i will need glue and epoxy. Which kind of glues/epoxies do you guys recommend? Are there any thoughts and advice towards making this step to do all my own bow work? ( I do have a great shop and love the guys there. I will continue to do business with them and go up there to shoot with them. I just want to get into doing all my own bow setup.)

Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 12.48.27 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 12.49.00 AM.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Picture is small and hard to read. But from what I can make out you have a lot of it covered. Get some Viper Loop Pliers to make a D Loop and maybe an arrow spinner.

3. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just my opinion but this is what I would do/did.

1. Ez press
    2. Rs level set
    3. Bow vise
    4. D loop material
    5. Scales
    6. T handle allen wrenches
    7. Arrow squaring device
    8. Arrow saw or make one from a dremel. I did the latter since I already had one and with the squaring device it didn't need to cut perfect though it's dang close.
    9. Glue
    10. Vanes/feathers
    11. Fletching jig.
    12. Draw board
    13. Dental floss
    14. Serving material
    15. Serving jig

That should cover anything you come across. I don't know what your budget is so you may have to piece it together over time but it's worth it. A press was the best investment I ever made. Haven't been to a dealer in years.

4. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2 on the arrow spinner. That might be your Pine Ridge Arrow Inspector, I'm sure, kinda hard to see. Way too many people don't do this, then wonder why their BHs don't fly straight. I use mine when I install inserts on new arrows, so I know that they're good from the start.

You'll need a fletching jig, Bitzenburgers are great, though I usually use my AAE EZ Fletch these days. I use either the Fletch Tite Platinum, or Loctite Ultra Control Gel. An E Clip tool is also going to be needed. A mouse pad or rubber mat for applying wraps is good to have. I wouldn't skimp and rig up a bow vice. Having one makes all of the difference in the world, though if you have access to a welder, he should be able to make one quite easily. I like the RS string and arrow levels for quick rest set up, very cheap and handy.

Plenty of other odds and ends that you'll discover that you need, but at quick glance, it looks like you're on your way to a real nice set up. Good luck!

V

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you plan to do any tuning you are going to want/need a draw board to properly measure draw length, check timing and sync, plus check draw weight properly.

6. Aaron Jones

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention that i have already been fletching my arrows already this past year. So i have all the fletching equipment. The pine ridge arrow inspector is an arrow spinner. Sorry about the picture i tried getting it larger but not for sure on exactly on how to make it larger. I also play on making a draw board as well. As for the budget, its not super high but efficient to get all the things in this list and then add things over time. I already have d loop and nock pliers on the list.
    Thank you guys for your advice and comment!

7. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What did it cost you to get set up end to end?

8. Aaron Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Without the bow press and bow vise, it will be around $350. The ez green bow press is $400 if you are buying a press. And the bow vises that I saw were $150

9. Aaron Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up buying everything on the list plus an OMP 360 bow vise.... My wallet just got a little lighter... hahaha But i feel like it was a great investment towards something i live all year for, Bowhunting.