Looking for advice on purchasing a new bow.... or not.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DJinNC, Feb 20, 2015.

1. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2010 Hoyt turbo hawk. I have it shooting well and very accurately for fun. Out to about 50 yards I can reliably put 4 of 5 inside a 9"circle. Inside 40 yards I can do that to a 6" circle. Inside 30 yards inside a 3" circle. Here is my question, as a recreational shooter when should I consider a new bow? Is there a time or shot limit for the limbs or cams? I have a hard time (to me) justifying spending over $1000 for a bow that shoots only 20fps IBO over what I have (320 vs. 340). I just don't know if I would really see a difference. I change out the strings and tune it every two years or so even if the string is well lubed and shows little wear. I pay for the best quality strings and serving offered. Just asking before I put it in for tuning and string change next month.

Edit: About when does a bow start to show it's age in terms of dimishing performance and how might that be seen? What is the lifespan of a compound bow?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ Have you shot any of the 2015 bows?

3. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2013 and 2014. As far as speed... I am shooting in the mid 280's and those bows were a little faster upper 280's and 290's with arrows of comparable weight. At hunting distances of 20-40 yards I did not see much difference in accuracy. Sound.. cannot really comment. My bow doesn't really jump or vibrate too bad so not a big difference. One big difference the Elite did pull really smooth. That was noticeable. Perhaps a better question might be when should one expect to see diminishing performance? Maybe I'll edit that into the post...

4. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If cared for properly (sounds like you do), and pending there are no defects in the limbs or components, I don't think there is a diminishing lifespan. The retail value of the bow may decrease, but performance should not.