time for a new rangefinder

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GAshooter, Feb 14, 2015.

1. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What would you buy? is the up and down angle features I see on some of the mid range finders worth the extra $150? I want something that's back lit, black led numbers against black backgrounds doesn't work so well...

It's only for bowhunting, the areas I hunt are not open enough for long rifle shots so I don't need anything ranged past 200 yards.

Any recommendations?

thanks!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only experience I have with a range finder is with the Nikon 440 that my sister and BIL gave me for Christmas about 6 years ago. I don't use it a whole lot, because by now I've ranged and marked all my stand sites, but what flips me out is that the battery is still good after all this time! I think it's in the $170 range. (pun)

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Nikon Prostaff 3 that I paid $149 for it and I really like it. I have compared it to my friends more expensive Bushnell and I honestly think my Nikon is brighter/more clear. The only thing I don't like is the black display can be hard to see in low light.

6. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nikon Prostaff 5 is well worth the money!!! Super nice features and i got mine for $169 on sale. I can get readings to 500+ very easily. I've been nothing but impressed with it

7. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    The Bushnell The Truth ARC rangefinder is a really good one. Post pics when you get one!

8. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's something that's not normal, I bought this thing last night on Amazon, it showed up today at noon. Now that's fast shipping. I'm guessing they stock these at the local amazon warehouse and deliver to the local area using a different carrier, which they probably own. Lasership, I didn't make that up, delivered it before the mail ran, less than 24 hours after i ordered it. Sorry for the crumby iPhone photo Sam, the thing is about the size of two desks of cards stacked up, it's sitting on a pot call I had on my desk. It is a lot smaller than what I was expecting. Now I have to find the perfect lanyard for it....I've been playing around with it all afternoon in the rain and ice, my wife giving me grief the whole time about buying myself a valentines gift...but I got her an iPhone 6 so she can hush.

IMG_0345.jpg

9. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats Bro! It is an AWESOME tool to have. You will be wondering why you didn't get one sooner. Your wife could have bought it for you for a late Valentine's Day gift if she wanted too! That would have been So Sweet! LOL! Have Fun Bro!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  10. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a nikon pro staff I got at an employee discount and it was really good. Used it for golf as well. I gave it away a few months ago and got a halo, I've heard some bad things about it but I haven't had any problems and it was only $129

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much any "arc" features IMHO are a selling feature. The further the target is from the tree, the less difference there is between straight line distance and arrow flight. Even

Example 1: If you are 30 feet up in the tree and a deer is at 10 yards from the base of tree, your rangefinder will read 14 yards. If your POI at 14 yards is that different than at 10, you might have a small problem.

Example 2: Same scenario, you are 30 feet up and your rangefinder reads 22 yards, the deer is only at 20 yards.

Example 3: 30 feet up, rangefinder reads 41 yards, the deer is 40 yards from the base of the tree.

So, take it for what it's worth but until you're shooting off cliffs or at really long ranges... it's not going to make a difference.

12. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're lucky. I ordered the exact same rangefinder for my birthday in January. It arrived 7 days later. I contacted Amazon and they gave me 50% discount. $90 for a brand new rangefinder with arc technology, worth the wait :)

13. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Nikon Acculon and I LOVE it. For where I hunt I can use it as a range finder and works for glassing as well.

14. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the bushnell arc 1000 for about 3 years now. And it's garbage. Bushnell products are garbage. Never buying anything from them again. Worst customer survice I've ever dealt with. Hunting in the mountains, the slightest bit of fog and the range finder can't range anything. It drains batteries like there is no tomorrow and even with new batteries it doesn't work 20% of the time. You can range the same thing 3 times and get a different yardage every time 3-5 yards difference.. Can't have that happen when your out hunting.