"micro" diameter hunting arrows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tkarrow, Feb 8, 2015.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am considering switching from CX Red's to a micro diameter arrow. There is now a fair bit of choice and several companies producing these smaller arrows.

How many of you use these over more traditional diameter arrows?

Which ones are the best and why?

If you use these, are they worth switching too?

Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.

I am turned off by the Deep 6 concept which apparently has a changed threading system (apparently weaker) for the finer diameter thus requiring special BH's and a reduced number of heads. I understand more companies are making deep 6 compatible heads but there are many companies making finer diameter arrows without changes to threading etc. made possible through tapered inserts or insert/outset combinations (CX Pile Drivers, GT Kinetics etc.)

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions??

Thanks, Tom

2. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Micro shaft have one glaring issue. The use of out-serts. For me out-serts had proven unreliable from a durability standpoint. I have tried several brands, Vaps, firenock ect ect and all have problem with alignment and do not spine true after heavy use.

Honestly I have found the middle of the road .204 ID shaft to the be the best compromise in a hunting shaft, GT Kinetics, ACC''s, BEA Rampages ect...they give to the option to for go the outsets and use either a SS half out or HIT with a footing/

4. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im leaning towards the GT Kinetics, especially after reading the F&S post provided above. What is the diff. between the XT and the Hunter?

Tom

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Straightness I believe.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The XT are .003 straightness while the Hunters .006.

If you go with the Kinetics do not use the inserts they come with.

The easiest and cheapest switch is to the SS black eagle archery half outs sized for Rapages.

Firenock makes an excellent half out also. However there very expensive.

You can also easily use Easton HIT inserts in brass or aluminum. If you go that route then I also suggest a Footing, GT is now making after market footing or you can make your own.

Kinetics are the most underrated shaft out there. They are very consistent, strong and suitable for a wide range of game.

7. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used the bloodsport impact hunters? Those are the small diameter arrows with the outsert that i am looking into to buy this next hunting season. Do you gives have any thoughts or have had bad experiences with them?

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been a fan of the small diameter shafts. I also do not see any advantages to them. The penetration claims, I feel are blown way out of proportion. The biggest draw back for me is the lack of options available for them. Inserts, insert weights, nocks, etc. Until my standard diameter shafts stop blowing through the deer I shoot, I'll stick with them.

9. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok... so how does the straightness affect the arrow... this is a small measurement.

Also, what is a footing and how would I make one?

Thanks, Tom

10. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, you would see much more of an increase in performance and penetration just by shooting a heavier arrow. RED's are very light. More weight = more momentum = more penetration. I shoot Easton Torches which are slightly larger diameter than an Axis but significantly smaller than CE REDs. Uses 75gr brass inserts, for a total mass weight of 441grains, great FOC, .001 straightness, and they take a beating. I don't see myself shooting a different arrow any time soon, it is the ultimate combo of features for me

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No complaints from using my injexion FMJs and deep 6 inserts and heads. From my experience the deep 6 inserts are much better and more durable that the HITs I had in my axis shafts. It's a steel insert with more threads and I've had no issues with them.

Micro diameter shaft or not a hunting arrow is really built for the individual, their personal bow setup, and the game they'll be chasing. Everyone is going to shoot something slightly different based off those three criteria.

I hunt Midwestern white tails and The injexion FMJs with deep 6 killzones or spitfires has been a great setup for me. My bow shoots these like darts and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the dca sd hunter - small diameter. I love em. Used to use axis and they are awesome as well. Favorite from Easton is the fmj I like the hit insert rather than deep six so I can use my heads with all my arrows. The only standard diameters I've had recently were beman ics hunters. They were okay, nothing special but got the job done

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow straightness is just that, how straight the arrow is. Manufacturers brag about the straightness of their arrows as a way to market and price their shafts. Straightness is important, especially with fixed heads, but its not as important as one may think. For example, the difference between .001 and .003 straightness is about the width of a human hair. 99% of the shooters out there will never be able to tell the difference. I personally shoot .001 mainly because its just a mental confidence thing.

The biggest factor in broadhead consistency with arrows in spine consistency. This means that every arrow flexes the same amount when coming off the bow in simplest terms. If one flexes less or more than the others, its usually a flyer. What many of us do here is rotate the nock on that arrow to another position and shoot it again. Usually, you can get that arrow to tune close to or with the others doing this.

14. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Confidence is huge for sure... likely would cause me to buy the "best" too... most expensive!

Great suggestion on nock rotating.. I'll have to try that.

Thanks, Tom

15. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do you find the outsert... do you use the aluminum or SS? Did you change spine if you used the SS?

I see GT has gone to a collar over their outsert for this year on the Kinetic Havoc?? A new 2015 arrow. Might be a good idea.

Tom

16. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been there done that with the micro arrows. Never again. The deep six are the only ones that I found that would work. Any outsert will be a problem. They either bend or impact knocks them out of line and they will wobble. The new designs this year may work but I can't justify going thru that much trouble or cost just to use a slightly smaller arrow than axis size that are known to work.

17. Aubie923

Aubie923 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Easton Injexions. The difference in penetration was huge for me. I could tell the first time I shot one into my block target. It would take a lot to get me to change back to my old arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally love the Easton Axis arrows. I'm only shooting 52 pounds and getting about 242 fps using them but they hit like a ton of bricks. I've seen guys shoot them out of higher poundage bows going like 280+fps and they are like little rockets that hit HARD

19. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from maxima reds to easton axis (.340). They both perform basically the same. I cut the axis 1/4" shorter to compensate for the added weight. I'm right at about 400 where I like it.
    There really wasn't any deciding factor except I can buy 3 axis for the price of 2 reds. Also the reds get scratched up and after a while just don't look as cool any more.

I'm very happy with the performance of the axis.

20. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be into micro diameter shafts but since Tim Gillingham explained why it can be a disadvantage I changed my mind. First to even get the most out of a micro diameter shaft your arrow has to be perfectly inline with the power stroke of your string, if it's not then you're beter off with a standard diameter shaft because with the extra surface area to line up with the power stroke of the string it makes it much easier to get the most energy out of the bow and into the arrow.