CX Whitetail arrows?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tkarrow, Jan 31, 2015.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have experience with these?? A great deal has been written on arrow weight, FOC, KE, momentum, penetration etc. all concluding heavier is better for penetration. Given that, I am really surprised to see super light 7.86 gpi ( @350 spine )arrows specifically for whitetail hunting from CX in 2015.

These are lighter than the CX blue streaks which are 8.6 gpi (350 spine) and considered too light by some I know.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tom

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Too light for me to consider, but some people consider speed to be more important.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At 28" with a 125 grains up front your looking at about 380 grain finished weight ...out of a 60# bow for thin skinned game/ whitetails ...what more do you really need?
    Seems like it would work fine for a lot of people especially with a good fixed blade head.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trial I wish more people had your mindset when it comes to proper weight for what type of broadhead used.

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went for the light gr per inch my set up is Easton Hexx 330 @ 7.9 gr per inch @ 28 inches I have a 50 gr insert and a 100 gr tip/broad head shooting at 420 gr with a foc of 12.5 @ 289 ft per sec out of a Chill R @ 70 lbs this has been a great setup IMHO I retained as much speed as I could and have a good FOC with the light shaft. KE is a product of mass and the square of speed the more you cut speed the more you cut KE by the square and higher mass or too much reduces speed ie in search of the sweet spot combination. 6 gr. per pound worked great for me ;)

6. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's proper arrow placement and then kinetic energy.

Carbon Express Blue Streak 250 7.3 GPI @ 25.5 inches w/wrap and 100gr. head = 337gr. @ 290fps. = 62.9 lbs. kinetic energy! MORE than enough kinetic energy to kill any North American big game animal. As always paper tune to verify proper arrow flight.

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    You really believe that a 337 grain arrow is suitable for any game in NA.....

8. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, New Yowka! total grains of an arrow is only ONE element that makes up kinetic energy. Here is the formula for those that are interested. SPEEDxSPEEDxWEIGHT/450240=kinetic Energy

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    KE = 0.5 • m • v2
    And since an arrow loses velocity from the moment it leaves the string ,while weight remains constant then weight is the most important variable in the equation relative to the application.

P= MV is much better indicator of an arrows performance on game.

And again I ask of you really feel that 337 grain arrow is suitable for all NA game ?

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    light arrows will always be less efficient when it comes to retaining energy. So down range it will lose energy and speed faster than a heavy one. KE has less affect on penetration. Momentum is a better measure of how it penetrates. Heavier arrow will have better momentum so it will retain its speed more at longer ranges, and penetrate better (especially through heavy bone). Overall a heavy arrow will always be more efficient. Not to mention it's less affected by crosswinds. I guarantee your arrow will not be adequate for multiple North American game species. Elk, moose, bison, grizzly, hogs etc. that light of an arrow will be stopped much faster on the thick hide, heavy bone animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree with formula. The key statement above is "down range" and how far is too far? Again it's about kinetic energy. Your "gaurentee" falls extremely short however according to my trophy room. Thanks for the post! Always fun to share and learn. I will retract on one statement I made in my original post. The one critter I would not use my lighter set up on would be Musk Ox. Haven't hunted those yet in my 25 years of bowhunting and don't plan on it. Penetration has never been an issue with my lighter set up. I would have changed it long ago if it ever was~ POINT being~ there is no issue with the lighter CX arrow shafts.

12. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On average musk or are smaller than elk, moose and bison. So why would you not use that set up on a musk ox but it's fine on the others even though they are larger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let that short draw length make you feel bad about the chrono reading, speed isn't everything.

14. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck, I wouldnt shoot a whitetail with that setup......let alone an elk or bear

15. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously the hair on a Musk Ox is thicker,longer and course.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  16. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing you haven't shot any of them!

17. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't worry that much about it. 290fps is plenty flat shooting and my set up has plenty of energy. Penetration has never been an issue with a quality fixed blade and a well tuned bow.

18. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    According to my taxidermy bills and my walls your "gaurentee" falls short and shows your ignorance! You stick to your couch and theories and I'll stick to the mountains, fields and woods and actually do the killing and share results and what I use to get them. I'll let you know if my 62.9 lbs. of kinetic energy isn't enough to kill my next bull in Idaho in 2015'

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    We should rename the little man syndrome to the short draw complex.

20. D3outdoors

D3outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dear, Central Park squirrel hunter! If your going to post on here or a site like Archery Talk.com stick to facts if someone is seeking facts and give your opinion when your opinion is relevant to the topic or question. You provided a helpful formula and the statement that a heavier arrow will penetrate, fly better etc. etc. etc. than a lighter arrow CAN be a true statement as well with ALL variables accounted for with the bow N arrow set up and including proper shooting form. Not mentioning the factors/variables make it a meaningless blank statement and isn't going to help an archer get the most of their equipment or there hunt. Couch hunters give me the syndrome....They remind me of people who shoot medium or small bucks or shoot a crossbow. Do they have camo subways to get you to hunting areas in NY?