CBE Hybrid... tape and multi pins... WHY?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tkarrow, Jan 18, 2015.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am considering a new sight. Im looking at the CBE Hybrid.

Question... the sight requires sight tapes but is also available in single, triple or even a five pin configuration. WHY, would multiple pin options be available with sight tape?? Does a sight tape not negate need for multiple pins?

Thanks, Tom

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because even through its muti pin it's still movable. The entire sight is driven.

So for example you set up three pin sight ...20/30/40 ...your bottom pin is floating ....so you want to shoot 75 yards, you adjust it to sight tape at 75.

3. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked at that sight as well. I was thinking of doing just the opposite, setting the pointer on the tape to 20 and zeroing the sight at 20, 30, 40. Then using the dial and the top pin to shoot farther distances, so outside 40 yards dial it to whatever range and shoot using the top pin. I'm still on the fence on shooting farther but in practice there's no reason not to. The sight is extremely well built and if I hadn't just purchased an Axion 5 pin I'd have picked it up.

It might be best and give a greater useable range to use the bottom pin and set the pointer at 40 on the tape. The new spot hogg has two pins as well with a tape, so maybe 20, 40, or 50 for the set pins and the tape for anything else. It looks like a single pin sight. I like the concept a lot.

4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what i did on my 3-pin Tommy Hogg. Works awesome, i have marks out to 90yards on my tape

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    One really good reason to use your bottom pin as the floater.

It gives Gives you greatest range. This is kind of self explanatory however it's a bit more complicated then it seems at first.
    For example you might say..."trial it doesn't matter I can move my top pin all the way to 90 yards on my tape. "

Yes you can in many cases, however your not just moving the pin your moving the entire housing, and by doing so you change the housing relating to your peep and your sight picture.

Imagine your peep and your sight ring lining up perfect at the zero position( the pins fixed at 20/30/40 yards for this example)

Now keeping that inline move the 20 yard pin to 60 on tape.
    See how much the sight picture changes.

Do the same moving your 40 yard pin down to 60....you move the pin a shorter distance and hence you move the housing and its how it relates to your peep less.

6. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, please correct me if I am wrong.. I have noted one of these in my hand yet....

The top two could be set at 20 and 30. The 3rd could be set at 40 BUT it would also move as the housing is moved? So although "set" at 40, it could be quick adjusted for unto 100? Does the pin gap of setting it at 20, 30 and 40 not prevent this or would the 3rd pin actually move as the housing moves while the top two stay put??

Thanks, T

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think as 3 pin movable sight is the best of both worlds. I too have mine set at 20,30 & 40. With my tape I can get out past 80. Great for practice and trips out West, but no need to mess with it when I hunt the woods here.

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a 2014 model CBE TEK Hybrid 3 pin on my hunting bow and love it. I'll likely get a second one this year with the dovetail to use on a Boss for my 3D bow/backup hunting bow in 2015.

I use my top pin as the floater. I also have my top pin setup so that it's perfectly centered inside the scope housing. I don't get as much yardage out of it this way but it's plenty for hunting distances, I think I'm getting around 80 yards this way.

I set mine up this way for a specific reason. While aligning my scope housing and peep is certainly a part of my shot process, there are times when you are staring at the X ring that it may get a hair out of alignment during shot execution. If the pin you are aiming with is perfectly centered in the housing, your subconscious has a way of keeping things aligned. Kind of like how many indoor or Field/FITA shooters will use a ring or large dot on their lens to aim with. With that pin being centered in the housing there is much better chance that if things get out of whack you are still in alignment.

When I was shooting a lot competitively I shot a lot of Field and FITA at distances of up to 90 meters. After shooting and competing at those distances a lot I can't possibly imagine shooting at those distances with a pin that wasn't centered in the housing. If you need more distance on your sight simply pull the sight in closer to the riser or get a faster setup. I have a very low peep height compared to a lot of people and I still can get 90 meters out of a 270ish fps setup on a FITA rig with the pin centered in the housing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015