Selecting a release

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SuperKirby, Jan 14, 2015.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wife just told me she was going to get a release for me but couldn't remember for sure which one I wanted, so I'm supposed to get one. Thing is, I don't entirely know for sure which one I want. Right now I'm borrowing a buddy's spare. It's a Tru Ball Stinger. I don't hate it, but I'm not overly impressed with it. It seems kinda bulky.
    I'm looking for something smaller. I've narrowed it down to either a Scott Mongoose XT or a Tru Fire Hardcore Max. Reviews seem to be generally positive for both with a few negatives.
    I can't afford to buy both to experiment with, so how do you decide? Any recommendations? I've played with them some, but I'm still torn. Looking for suggestions. I have to keep it under $100.

2. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    $100 or thereabouts will get you a great release. Haven't owned a TruFire... but I've owned a couple Scotts. I'm a huge proponent of Scott releases. The Mongoose is a good piece!

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott for me

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott rhino xt or the truball short n sweet are the best in the price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    How is the Rhino XT? I can't find anywhere around here that has one in stock to try. Everything I read says it's a really heavy trigger pull. Too heavy for hunting.
    Is a caliper or hook style better for hunting since that's primarily what I'll be doing?

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Scott Littlegoose and LOVE it! Actually I stole it from my wife a while back. She hadn't been shooting in a while and one day I though about giving it a try and was hooked. Was going to get a new one and she said for the amount she shoots I might as well just use hers until she decided to get back into it. It is so crisp and snaps open without the noise. Just a touch of the finger when using your back muscles sends it on it's way.

7. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Should I be concerned with how light the trigger release is on the scotts? I know they're adjustable but some of the ones I looked at would open just from bumping the release a little. I guess that was the appeal to the Mongoose XT. I read somewhere that once you hook the others on a string and pull on it they take a little more to trip.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a couple different releases on the AT classifieds ...you will get them cheap enough.

Try them and keep the one you like best.
    Sell the remaining releases back on the classified ...recoup your money and then buy a spare of the one you liked best

10. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not as easy to trip them when you have the bow drawn. It is more crisp though than any other release I've tried over the years. You aren't pulling and pulling until it finally goes off.

11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like a heavy trigger. Especially wen wearing thick gloves for hunting. Let's me get the trigger deep on my finger and focus on the target and just pull. A trigger with a lot of travel will feel heavier when set at the same setting as one without a ton of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a TruFire hardcore max. Absolutely love it.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

13. Rocky Hill

Rocky Hill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Scott Shark. Release is adjustable.

Rocky

14. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Still deciding. I think I've eliminated the Mongoose XT as I don't think I like the spring assisted close. I don't like the feel of pulling against a spring instead of a crisp pull. I'm leaning towards the Hardcore Max for a hook release, or the Little Goose for a caliper. Just have to decide which style I want.

15. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the hook myself (have a scott)... easier to get on the loop with gloves in cold, and if ya have to let down ya dont have to trip it to release the string... plus... had a caliper release for years till it started not holding anymore... d loop would slide out at about half draw sending the arrow in a lazy arc about 30 yards.. a hook wont do that

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried a Hot Shot? I just got a Nano and I'm really impressed with it. Super crisp trigger. My True Fire has a lot creep comparatively.

17. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Never seen one in person. Heard they're not bad though. I would probably want to see one before I dropped the money on one. They do look nice.

18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like a caliper release, so I went with the Tru-Fire Hurricane. I've been using one for years and love it. Actually, I have 2 of them. You gotta have a back-up.

19. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've asked the same question. I'm narrowing mine down to Scott rhino XT or the trufire hardcore. I've used the hardcore. The winner for me is going to be whoever has the most comfortable wrist release and doesn't leave bruises