NO D-Loop??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ChuckC, Dec 24, 2014.

1. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you gotten rid of the D-loop and gone back to (or never strayed from) attaching your release directly to the string?

Up until 2 years ago I used the regular nocking point above and eliminator buttons under the arrow and always shot great using that way. Serving wear wasn't too bad and every year or two I would get a new string or serving re-done. The last two bows I have owned I went with the D-loop and I feel I am not nearly as consistent as I used to be. Maybe it's old age, maybe it's aging eyes but something feels amiss. I am actually thinking about dropping it and going back to the nocking point and eliminator buttons to give it a try.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you allow for the extra draw length created by the D-loop? If not and it threw off your appropriate draw length that could explain a lot.

3. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they re-measured me and set me up with the new bow with the appropriate draw length that allowed for the D-loop, set up with 27 1/2 draw + D-Loop. That all fits good on this year's bow. Now the bow I had last season I felt at the time it was a little long with the D-loop but the bow shop (different one) assured me I was fine, set up with 28" draw + D-loop.

I'm kind of thinking that I am torquing the bow some here and there but perhaps the D-loop is helping cause that? If that makes any sense? I am also wondering how consistent the arrow is setting in between the knots versus being pinched between a nocking point and eliminator buttons. Also, to give a little back ground to how this year went I didn't get my bow early enough to allow me to get used to it completely like I would have wanted. Perhaps shooting it a lot more this next season I will feel better about it and in time I will be torquing less too.

4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    D-loops when done right won't pinch, and will have less torque than bare string as well as increased consistency and accuracy.

Also to clarify, D-loops do not change your draw length in any way. You don't account for a Dloop as your draw length and anchor is determined by where the string is located at full draw and NOT the loop.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

6. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    They are opposite each other. One thing I noticed while shooting over the weekend is the arrow is very sloppy in between the knots. At full draw my daughter was able to shift the arrow nock up and down with about 1/16 of an inch play. I was thinking that maybe I should serve some string serving in there to possibly take up the difference. Or should I just re-tie in a new D-Loop making sure it's closer for less slop?

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what he said^^

I would rather switch out a D lop then re-serve my string anyday....
    D loop are generally regarded as more forgiving also...

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I tie a loop I make sure there is ZERO slop. I also tie in a "nocking point" with serving to make sure 1) my d loop or nicking point doesn't move 2) remove any slop and 3) easy to retie a loop in the same location.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect!! That's actually something I was looking for Maxpetros!! Thank you!!

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, this is how I've been tying my loops for the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015