Single pin vs. multi pin sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MNH Bowhunter, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MNH Bowhunter

MNH Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I`ve been looking to get a new sight for my bow but I can`t decide between a single pin sight or a multi pin sight. I haven`t really decided yet on any specific sights, I would just like to hear what some of your opinions are first.
    Any sights you guys could recommend would be great too.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say if you're shooting at no more than 30yrds use a single pin sight. If you'll be shooting out past that I'd go with multi pin.

3. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 6 pin sight, it's one less thing for me to fumble with during that moment.

4. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went from a 3 pin to a single HHA. I would never switch back. Up to 35 yards, I don't need to move the sight.

5. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently purchased my first single pin sight. I went with a spot Hogg Hogg father. I absolutely love it! Before I was using a 5 pin spot Hogg Hogg-it, which was a great sight as well. But I think I will be sticking with the single pin. I have my pin set at 25 yards that way I'm able to shoot good from 0-30 +/- yards. Then what I did is engrave a little mark on my pin about 1/3 down the pin shaft to use as a 40 yard reference if I absolutely wouldn't have time to move my sight. But a moveable sight isn't a hassle at all for me like others say. It's takes you maybe 2 seconds to move your sight to the desired range. Anything out further then 30 yards and you should have time to range, dial in your sight and shoot. At least most of the time. I just love having no pin clutter, opens up the sight window nicely. You will really notice it once you go from shooting a multi pin sight for years to a single pin. You just have the one pin to focus on and it's awesome. I've become a way better shot and I've only been using my new sight for about a month now.

6. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Long story short, I went from a 5 pin to a single pin, to a 3 pin slider. I like having a couple fixed pins for known yardage with the ability to slide it for practicing at long yardage. Plus, I had mental problems with a vertical pin shooting indoors.

SCFox

7. MNH Bowhunter

MNH Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a lot for the opinions everybody

8. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on the typical distance you expect to shoot your game from. Hunting here in the Maine woulds it's unlikely to have a shot past 30 yards anyway, so I run an Impact Archery single pin fixed sight. Love it, will buy another one when the time comes... it's bright as anything and it's a vertical pin (don't like horizontal pins because it covers to much of the deer up). Now if I was out in wide open territory frequently I'd have a vertical three pin... probably Trophy Ridge.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For my whitetail setup, I have the Trophy Ridge V3 (50 yards/less,) for my elk I use the Micro V5 (out to 80.) Just awesome sights, and you get the best of both worlds when it comes to comparing a single pin vs. multi pin. Super easy to set up, tough, decent light collection, and they come with a rheostat.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from multi pin sights years ago and I have had no desire to go back. I have HHA sights on both my bows and I love them. Like Stubert said above, I set mine to a certain yardage(30 yards) and I can make any shot from 30 on in without adjusting the bow. Anything further than that, I have time to make any changes I need.

11. MNH Bowhunter

MNH Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I probably wont be shooting past 30 yards, so I think I might go with a single pin. Is there any that you guys would recommend for around $150

12. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    I would recommend HHA OL5519. The hha website lists it for 159.99 but I have yet to see it retail for that much. A very good sight.

Beefie

13. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The OL5519 is a slider sight using a single pin. I don't recommend sliders for hunting but would go with their single pin Brushfire series.

Brushfire Fixed Pin Bow Sights from HHA Sports

14. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am curios why not a slider for bow hunting. Is this just one pin and that's it,any adjustment? Would you not be better off to have a multi sight?

Beefie

15. MNH Bowhunter

MNH Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering the same thing

16. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's ok for some but not me. If I have to take the time to range a deer and then dial in the pin then I've wasted a lot of time. With my stationary single pin set for 30 yards I'm good to 40 and closer.

17. American Honky

Dislikes Received:
    That's my opinion also... the less things I have to do, the less opportunities for me to frig up

18. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So you guys both must be shooting wear your very flat from 40 yards on in. So I can see wear one fixed pin would work.

For guys like me with heavy arrow set ups wear there is a drop between 20 and 40 yards the question is still single pin vs multi pin. And if a slider or a dial is better as a single pin. Or just go with a multi pin with fixed yardage.

Beefie

19. American Honky

Dislikes Received:
    I feel comfortable shooting out to thirty or so yards with my single pin... the difference between 20 and 30 yards isn't hardly two inches... 40 yards is something I practice and could instinctively make an accurate shot at if needed. However a 40 yard opportunity in the thick softwood forests up here in Maine is not something that's likely when your up in a treestand. The tree canopy is far too thick to make a responsible shot anyways.

20. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a single pin (most recently) for about a year just to try it and have since switched back to 3 pin setup adjustable/slider (MBG). Back in the old days, we used to just shoot one pin as most shots were almost always kept under 30 yds, definitely under 40.

Guess I'm just too much of a "spaz" to just shoot one pin.