Grizzly stick arrows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Beefie, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Does anyone here shot these. They appeal to me with there tapered shafts for reduced friction. Just wondering how they will be in the off season when shooting leagues. I am trying to get a high F.O.C. but with shooting a short draw 27" it gets fun. Arrows are 27" as well. Shooting CX heritage 350s currently with 125 grain heads.

I think I am about 480gr currently and still trying to get up over the 500gr or more arrow weight. Bow is now a Mathews Chill R 70lb with a 27" draw. Bow is still a little loud, heavier arrow should fix that.

Beefie

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't but desire to. I know 4 individuals personally who shoot them and LOVE them. I think if you can justify the money, get them! If not still ways to accomplish a high FOC without them and get near if not over 500gr weight. My dream set up is a single beveled head in the 175-225gr area on a tapered grizzlystick arrow weighing in over 500grains.....I'll shishkabob both shoulders like butter.

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did the 650 challenge. If they weren't so daggum expensive it'd be on like donkey kong.

The arrows fly well, but you'll definitely notice the drop. I hunt out west where the shots can get pretty long. Rangefinders are useful, but you can't afford to be off a hair when shooting past 40 because the arrow drop is just so steep.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never plan on shooting over 40/45 so not a big deal here, I can see if one does practice regularly and shots over that are common it could be a factor in decision.

5. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How much drop are we talking? 40 yards = how much drop from say 20 yards. I am a big fan of mass and ke but I don't think you need 650 on any north American game. I figure 500-575 is ideal. Also agree with tynimiller on single blade broadhead. It would be a devastating setup.

Beefie

6. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts as well on the yardage. The only things in the immediate future is a black bear hunt. Elk hunt sum day but that's way down the line.

Beefie

7. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
  8. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, if I get stationed back east/south, these might be "overkill" but still my arrow of choice

9. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the link. I was surprised at the drop but then again you were using your sights from the other arrow. I think if I were to do it I would get bare shafts and build my own arrow setup. which then justifies getting more tools for arrow building. I wonder how the wife will like my resoning on that? lol.

I think if a person started with there 450 shafts, it would be pretty easy to build a 500-575r setup. I just don't no what there shaft weights are. They only list 32" shafts = this much in such and such a spine. and shooting a 27-28" arrow you are cutting off 4-5" of weight.

Things to ponder while sitting in a stand.

beefie

10. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard good things, but never shot.

11. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry havn't posted in awhile. Been out gun hunting.

So getting back on topic. I found another maker of tapered arrows. Arrow Dynamics hammer head series, they look and sound similar but are hafe the cost as the grizzly stic. kind of throws a bone into the gears to get this moving along.

Check them out and see if they are the same.

Beefie