single pin sight for hunting - doesn't seem useful?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gswartz, Nov 11, 2014.

1. gswartz

gswartz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I'm in a tree I have an arc range finder and I range a bunch of trees around me so when a deer walks through I know pretty closely it's yardage. I'm trying to understand the single pin sight and from what I gather, you have to still range the deer first and then dial in the sight. This seems like a real pain because 1) you're taking the chance of moving and the deer seeing you. 2) if the deer moves further away you have to range again, adjust the sight and then pull back hoping it doesn't move. Am I missing something here? Because if this is accurate, I'm having a tough time seeing how this is a better solution than a multi pin sight. Definitely not trying to knock it... I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly and potentially missing something that could be really useful to my hunting. Thanks!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will rarely ever have to adjust it. Truth is a fixed single pin is all most hunters need. At the same time it all depends on where you hunt and your hunting style. I leave mine at 20 most the time and will shoot out to 35 without making an adjustment unless I am going to be able to pick my spot and have plenty of time. I don't know anyone that makes the adjustment to the yard. I will take a shot out to 40-50 in a open field under the right conditions. At that range dialing in the yardage is much more important.

It also can depend on the speed of your bow. Having the ability to make those adjustments is much more import for someone that is lobbing arrows at the target. There are always going to be a lot of variables. Having the option to make the change on the fly is just another tool in the bag.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very Well Said!

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When hunting I do the same as heckler. The single pin sight picture is what I love, one pin and simplicity at the moment of truth. I'll never go back to a multi pin sight.

5. gswartz

gswartz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So if I'm understanding correctly you sight it in for 20 yards and then if the target is at 30, you just raise it slightly?

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I set mine at 25, hold true out to 30 yards, after 30 aim high vitals. My limit is 40.

7. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will say its fun to crank it up to 100 yards and put every shot in the bag. :p

9. gswartz

gswartz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok now I'm intrigued;). Thanks everyone!

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will never use a multi pin sight again.

11. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I set mine on 25 and can shoot it out to 40

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a three pin sight and removed two of the pins. The single static pin is set at 20 yards and is effective in a 15-25 yard range when holding on the center vitals. Outside that range. The aim needs to be adjusted accordingly which is something that comes with practice.

13. TarheelTurk

TarheelTurk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    X2 my limit is 30 yds , but I practice out to 50 sometimes 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. wolftalker

wolftalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what you would do for a rifle or handgun... unless your a highly trained sniper and can do the algebra in your head to compensate for the coriallis effect. It's called hold off for yardage and wind compensation.

15. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 4 pin sight. My bow does not shoot super fast but i do shoot 70 lbs at 29in draw. My pins are pretty far apart tho so I dont see how you guys do it with a single at 20 yards. I feel like compensating 5 yards is ok but more than that I feel like it would be very tough. I could see using a single pin if your bow shoots flat out to 30 yards because for a whitetail hunter you usually dont need much more than that. But for you guys who sight it in for 20 and just aim high for further yardages dont you run into a problem when shooting different sized deer? I feel like it would be hard to tell what say 5in high is? I guess it just takes practice and hunting the way you practice.

16. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I compare using a single static pin to shooting a bare bow (kinda). A lot of the compensation that is made is done by feel and not so much my measurement. Instead of training yourself how to judge yardage in numbers in order to select a pin, you feel the distance and adjust the pin's location on the target accordingly. It all boils down to how each individual person processes information. Myself, if I have multiple pins to choose from, I will pick the wrong one every time.

17. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am living the argument last week I missed the buck we dream of. I shoot a Mathews Chill R 28 in 420 gr arrow and a HHA site. With this set up the pin set at 30 yards will be approximately 6 inches low at 40 yards and close to that between 20 yards and 30 yards. I tested this. I do agree that you can set the pin at 25 and be good out to 30. My plan was to set the pin/yardage pick the spot aim and squeeze what happened was I had three doe in the area so I set the pin at 30 yards and if they came in I may have taken one. They beded down and a few minutes later the buck came out of the woods and was coming my way. He crossed the shooting lane at 40 yards I guess I knew I had moved the pin so I did not follow my steps and aimed for a heart/lung shot. The buck just walked away Dooooh!! when I got to the arrow no blood and one blade( nap spitfire)had hair so I shaved him low. A clean miss all that said I am keeping the site

18. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same, set mine at 25 and leave it.