Whisker Biscuit?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drawdown, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a new PSE this fall with a Whisker Biscuit rest. I must say for a hunting rest I love everything about it. My question is will the bristles start to wear soon or are they long lasting. I probably average aprox 50-75 practice shots a week. I don't won't to find I've got bad arrow flight that I didn't know about from shooting only field points? How long of life can I expect?

2. RocknMuzzy

RocknMuzzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Drawdown, I would agree with you for the most part on the Whisker Biscuit rest. I have used it in the past, my wife, dad, and others that I know swear by it. We have shot hundreds of arrows through it and have had no issues with broadheads or field points. One suggestion I would offer which is a pretty obvious one is to make sure your rest has the opening on the side to load your arrows through. Whisker Bisuit makes two styles (a closed ring and a opened ring). My wife doesn't hunt so she prefers the completely enclosed ring on the rest. She can load her field point arrow through the opening designed to hold the arrow (from the rear). This might cause problems with a broadhead as it passes through the rest.

Also, I mentioned I use to use this rest. Two reasons why I switched was first, over time the rest seems to wrinkle the vanes on the arrow. It doesn't affect the flight but the vanes do take a bit of abuse passing through. The second reason I switched was I can't help but think with all that resistance from the rest it has to be slowing my arrow down some. And I like having as much speed as I can get behind arrows.

I know my response was long winded, but in short I think you will be just fine with this rest.

3. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used one for a couple years, but mine wore out so I switched to a drop away.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently using one since it came with my bow and I haven't had any issues with it after hundreds and hundreds of arrows. Ideally I'd like to have a quality drop away but after shooting with it I just left it. There's a spray to help with friction and noise. It also helps in the cold to prevent the bristles from freezing up. It's called Scorpion Venom Biscuit Spray. Other than that, if bristles start falling out or they start affecting your grouping then I'd recommend replacing or changing rests.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only shoot with WB because they are fool proof IMO. Never had one wear out on me but they will warp your fletchings. I'm switching over to the NAP quick fletches because they seem more durable.
    Also you'll need to shoot none-camo arrows to reduce the friction noise when drawing back. I shoot the Beman Hunters because they are so smooth. Note: Beman hunter pros have camo, not good.

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also have one and have never had a single issue. I believe they do slow the arrows down a bit but it's probably very very little. Over time the bristles will sort of ware but they do sell replacements for like 20 bucks.

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the same WB for probably 6 years before I switched to an Apache. I changed bristles once when I changed arrow shafts. I can't imagine wearing one out very easily.

8. oneshotonly

oneshotonly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also depends on the arrows that you are using. I shoot Goldtips and after awhile I began hearing a scraping noise on my drawback. I couldn't tell how loud it was but I could hear it very clear. At the pro shop I was told that the material that Goldtips are made of cause a friction on the WB after awhile. I eventually went to a dropaway. Dot get me wrong I truly love the WB but I couldn't bare the sound any more.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a good hunting rest for sure. They last pretty long and replacing the ring is cheap and easy.

Honesty a long of guys that use other style rests would probably be better off with WB for the amount they shoot and the application.

10. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with a WB right now and have no complaints. My brother in law has the TR Revolution and had to repeatedly exercise it during our late archery season due to the cold. I am looking at upgrading to the Apache this spring to pass down the WB to my boys for their bows as they grow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your bow is tuned 8-10,000 shots then get a new insert. Once you notice your arrows falling down/in bristles. Or if you didn't notice it and you shoot in the dirt in front of your target once (maybe twice). I have used a WB every year for close to 20 years and I will always have at least one bow with a WB.

12. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a whisker biscuit on my bow.. I like it but as others have pointed out it works on your fletchings over time. I think it does effect the speed of your arrow slightly as well and I think it effects my accuracy a tad bit too. When I invest in a new rest for my bow I'm going to go with a drop away rest, that way I know there's nothing interfering with the flight of my arrow, but all in all the WB has been good for me and I like it but there are better rests on the market IMO.

13. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bow came with one.had it two yrs shot so much the first yr I had to replace it buy hunting season.useing a code red this yr.if I go back to the whisker biscuit it will be the adjustable one.i have to turn my arrow slightly for clearance on my bow the drop away was better for that.

14. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have dropaways on two of my bows, but a WB on a third, and I've had them on bows in the past. I've only seen a 2-3 fps loss on them from a dropaway, if the bow is tuned. Haven't seen any wear on my blazers. I plan on shooting this one all year just to see how well it holds up and if it's still on the mark come fall.

V

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If your arrow makes noise on the draw, pull a cotton ball front to back thru the biscuit. silence.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting, the WB is the ticket. I wouldn't use any other.

17. Djfan

Djfan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I swithced to the QAD fall away. Really like it. For me, it is better. I shoot a PSE also (GREAT bow!) and just like the fall away better.