Old Bear Bow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by blindroofer, Oct 16, 2014.

1. blindroofer

blindroofer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster here.

My dad just recently passed away and he gave me his bow. Its a Bear, 37" Kodiak Magnum compound. He's had it for a long time. I'm 32, and i remember being really young and trying to draw this thing and not even being able bend the string. My question is: How old is this thing? The serial number is DP-31890. I don't care how much it is worth, it is priceless to me. I'm just trying to put a date to the memories. If any of you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everybody.

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't help you but I am sure Bear Archery would. Contact | Bear Archery

I'd agree that the value of that bow is priceless. Some good memories in that bow whether you could draw it or not. It'd be fun to take a deer with it. Kind of like hunting with your Dad one more time.

Welcome to the site. Stick around, its good fun here.

3. blindroofer

blindroofer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much.

If i could have just one more hunt with him...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure that Bear had a Kodiak Magnum compound in the very late 70's-early 80's time but 37" seems a little short for the compound Bears of that time, but maybe I'm wrong about that part? I'm almost certain they had a Kodiak or Kodiak magnum version in 1980, the year that I got my 1st Bear compound! Bear probably kept the Kodiak name for a number years and shortened the length, but I'd still say early to mid 80's?

I did a search and found for sale a Kodiak Magnum compound with a ser# almost same as yours, DOM they believe late 70's and length is 46 1/2" axle-axle. That's about right length for most Bear compounds of that time.

We went wild over all the bears at that time, Black Bear, Brown Bear(classy), Grizzly II (I believe), Whitetail (a favorite around here for the $'s in a hunting bow) and it's big brother The Alaskan (nice)! Later they had a great bow with adjustable cams, The Pronghorn. Late 80's they had a real winner for a low $ hunting bow and a the bow I shot best for a lotta years, The Whitetail II!

Instead of the Alaskan I believe it was called Polar LTD?

This threads just got me remembering a lot of good times and the bows of that time. The Polar LTD was the higher $ version of the very popular Whitetail compound. The Alaskan was best of my memory Bears Elite line, a 4-wheeler compound that run alongside the PSE Citation Hunter and Jennings Arrow Star!

I remember 100's articles in Bowhunter magazine by Dwight Schuh packing the PSE Citiation Hunter. They where classy bows!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. blindroofer

blindroofer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, guys. OP here. I finally got an email back from Bear. My bow was produced in early 1980. That means my dad bought it when I was less than a year old. It has been in the family pretty much my entire life. It makes me think dad bought it with the intention to hand it on to me. @Drawdown, your info was spot on! Thank You. @The Old Man, Thank you for pointing me towards the company. You guys are great, Thank you all so much!

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That bow is older than you are. lol My first compound was a Bear Polar LTD, which I took my first few deer with. I gave it to a young neighbor long ago, I wish I didn't because he never became a hunter.