Question on sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bones435, Oct 15, 2014.

1. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to achieve the most range possible with a sight on my loaner/trainer bow. (Pse nova awesome trainer with the synergy cams with easy change modules)
    Anyways so my question is if I move the sight closer to the string the distance between the pins for a set range should get closer right. Essential giving me more range potential.
    Or do I somehow have this backwards.

My sight has three mounting positions I believe by mounting the sight to the closest position to the string I should be getting the most range out of the pins.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For just getting started out I wouldn't worry too much about range or shooting long distances. You really want to master the basics first and shoot at distances from say 15 to 30 yards. That's going to be your money zone when it comes to bowhunting, especially for a beginner shooting an older bow.

With that said it really won't matter what set of holes you use as I'm sure there's on a difference of less than an inch between the first and last set which isn't going to shorten or extend your effective range.

3. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your response Justin. Did you get baconator yet? I am actually an experienced archer. I shoot a z7 and we practice often out to 100. You're right that 15-30 will be the money zone. I'm setting up this pse nova for my buddies who want to shoot but are not willing to drop the coin on a new bow. When i move back to 80s or 100s my buddies always want to follow. Its fun to shoot fat. The sight I'm using actually has about two inches of adjustment in and out. I'm pretty sure that as the sight moves closer to the string the angle gets steeper creating a bigger possible range.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that is 100% true. On my current bow that shoots 421 grain arrows at 290, ot shot my 350 at 312. When I shot fixed pins the pins were literally stacked on top of each other. By moving the dovetail all the way out I got proper pin spacing that allowed for better aiming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk