How to stop a kick back with a bow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by keppy, Oct 13, 2014.

1. keppy

keppy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I helped a buddy get a bow this past year. He got the Diamond infinite edge, the price was right and he is a small guy. The bow can shoot good groups, when I shoot it. However, the bow is having some trouble with kicking back after he shoots. I noticed it too it jumps up quite a bit which cause for some high high misses. I was thinking a 6-8 inch stabilizer might help stop this problem. Any info would help.

Thanks!

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by "kicking back"?

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what you mean by kicking back. If you mean it's jumping significantly at the shot then it could be a timing or a tiller issue. I've sold and setup dozens of Infinite Edge bows, they are fantastic bows but are also a traditional dual cam system, I'd bring it to a shop that knows how to time a bow and have them look it over.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he is smaller than you and you are both shooting the bow but you are accurate and he isn't, I would say the bow needs to be tuned for him. Is the draw length correct for him? Is the weight appropriate for what he can handle? What about the timing? If by kicking you mean the upper arm is jolting the bow higher you may need to add more weight to the bottom by adding a heavier stabilizer. Either way, it doesn't sound like it's tuned for him.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking you need to add some weight up front.............

6. Rtkman

Rtkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My bow does the exact same thing. (Bear Outbreak) I've been thinking a larger heavier stabilizer might help. I can control it but that seems it can lead to gripping the bow too much.

7. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First see if a stabilizer solves the problem. If that doesn't help it's probably a issue with the tiller and will need adjusted.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin has one and it was horribly out of time. He kept missing high and couldn't get the bow to group at all. I shot it through paper and made a few adjustments that should have fixed it before I checked the timing. I didn't have a press available but, he took it to a reputable shop, had it timed and boom, problems solved.

I suggest having the timing checked first then try a stabilizer if all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. keppy

keppy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The bow is adjusted to him, he is just new to shooting. I think it must be the timing and tiller than because it severely jumps up after the shot.

Thanks everyone!