broadhead tune and paper tune

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tkarrow, Sep 18, 2014.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A recent post of mine asked about paper tuning. I took my new bow to the shop and found several issues which are now resolved allowing me to bullet hole through paper.

My question... BH tuning will involve moving the rest to seek out the impact location of arrows with field tips. Will this not negatively affect the paper tune??? Should I not paper tune with broad heads to begin with??

Thanks, Tom

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Paper tune gets you close.
    Broad head tuning is the end game.
    We hunt with broad heads so that's what our final tune is.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No reason not to be able to achieve both. Centershot set via walk back and or french tune. Proper spine and yoke tune through paper will have broadheads with fp and bulletholes.

4. CaptainClutch

CaptainClutch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Paper tuning to me is like bore sighting a rifle,you start of close to get ya started and check for major issues,but your hunting with broadheads therefore tune for broadheads.

5. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I won't waste time paper tuning as I find that I can usually with a right-spined arrow, zero a pin, do a quick walk-back, then screw on some BH's and tweak a little and have all in good tune without ever trying paper tune.

The couple experiences I had with attempting paper-tuning, were poor as I was letting a guy try to show me how to paper tune a pair of bows, and ended up with BOTH bows all jacked up because he kept wanting to move the rest to get bullet holes. Now I was shooting into the paper at a downward angle, and I surmised that was the problem, but he kept saying it wasn't... Ends up he has my arrow at damn near 15 degrees above horizontal to get near bullet holes and I said, "Forget it." I made a couple quick adjustments to get my rest back in line with where it was supposed to be by eye-balling it, and within half an hour at home, had everything back where it was shooting FP's with BH's. I tolerated the jackhole trying to show me how to paper-tune because I was at a range where a bunch of guys were doing it, and figured I'd give it a whirl, but after that experience, and seeing that even after paper tuning, there is still a bit of tweaking to do, and I can accomplish BH's and FP's hitting together without that step, it's one less painful and relatively frustrating step that I don't need to do.. With EVERY bow I've ever set up, even a left-handed bow that I set-up for a buddy and shot a few inches short of my DL and wrong-handed, I can eye-ball to get things on the target, then tweak from there and accomplish a good tune... No need for lasers or paper tuning or any of the "high tech" tuning techniques really.

6. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked with a guy last week. Good hole thru paper, BH's hitting 3-4" left. Broadhead tune, same POI with field points out to 40 yds. Shot thru paper again, slight left tear. Paper tune isn't the end all, but rather a good place to start.

SCFox