HHA Optimizer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jtrump, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, I've been really interested in trying out a single pin sight for some time and these sights look great, so I purchased one.

I'm having an issue actually following the instructions and getting it to work correctly, or as I think is correct.

TLDR: I have the sigh mounted in the second set of lowest holes, I tried the very top set and to shoot 20 yards I was already @ like 50yard mark on the dial.

So, I lowered it down and now even with it that low, to get it to sight in at 20 yards It's sitting at about the 35-36 mark. Am I going be to able to sight in out to 60 yards and have the correct tape to put on there? it just seems very odd.

2. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    those numbers are just a reference
    for instance: at 20 yards you have the dial(or slider) set at 35
    then: turning only the dial(or slider) sight in at 60 yards. You may end up at say 85
    you then subtract the lower from the higher (getting 50 in this case) and that is the number of tape you use.
    then set the dial(or slider) back to 35(the original 20 yard sight in) and put the new tape on,lining up the 20 yard marker on the tape with the pointer on the sight.

3. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But If I do that, looking at the tapes that come with it, I feel they won't line up properly. I'm slinging arrows pretty fast, not sure if it's going to take an 80yard tape or a 60.. Of course I really don't care about 80 yards or really even 60, but I just want to set it up right. I understand what you're saying, I stopped after things didn't seem right, so I'll try it tomorrow out to 60 yards and see what I come up with. thx

4. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    okay, if you are using the set up tape it looks like a yardage one, it is not one. it is used as described as above, so there are numbered tapes that come with the sight from 16 to like 38 i think or something like that, now figure out what number on the set up tape is the right mark for 20 yards, for instance you said it was at the 35-36 mark. now write that down on a piece of paper. step back to whatever you are comfortable shooting at at the farthest distance constantly weather it be 40 or 50 or 60, the farther the better. Not shoot and lets say that at the 61 mark on your set up tape that is dead on at 60 yards. now subtract 35 from 61 and you get 26, so go back to the tapes that have numbers above them from 16 to 38 and grab number 26 and put it on your sight and BINGO! you have you match made in sight heaven. now i understand you are worried about your sight tape not lining up properly, so just make sure that your 20 yard mark lines right up with that number 35 on your sight in tape, i would take a pencil or grey sharpie or something and mark it to make sure it lines up their. the rest don't really worry about because that tape should go up to about 60 if it is landing on the 35 mark on you set up tape

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are not use to shooting 60 yards, just do the 20 and 40 yard conversion. I plugged about 30 arrows each way before I finally made the conversion and put the proper tape on. IMO you need 2"-3" grouping for most accurate result.

6. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got it sorted out or what I believe to be sorted out.. I shot a lot of arrows yesterday and had to take a break because at 60yards which I don't typically shoot I was inconsistent. So, I put the sight in the very bottom holes of the mount, this helped greatly. I ended up getting 21, dead nuts on at 20 yards with BH and field point, Adjust the sight and shot walked back, hit 50 perfectly.

Got back to 60, Shoot first arrow, barley hits the top of my Block, may have adjust to much.. woulda been a maxima red hidden in the woods. But in the end I took a 5 minute break sat down, got a drink etc. Went back out with two arrows my number was set on 47, I was shooting at a 2" circle target, one arrow dead center the other just an inch right.

I think doing the conversion chart would have saved me some work.. I probably shot 200+ arrows yesterday and pulling 75lbs that will wear you out when you've just begun to really practice for the reason. Plus Florida is Hot!

Thanks for the tips, I understood the directions but it still seems weird. Now the test is going to be If i can go outside today and put them in the bulleye at 20-30-40 ;)