Bow needs a "once over"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by USAF Bowhunter, Aug 26, 2014.

1. USAF Bowhunter

USAF Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bow has been sitting for the last 4 years while I was overseas. I just got a new string put on it and new arrows as well. I have been shooting lately and I just feel that I am not aligned properly. Maybe it's just in my head, but I feel that it's off. At 20 yards I am consistently low and either left or right by about 2-3 inches. Also, my arrows are going into the target at a slight angle with the nock leaning to the left. I just wanted to check with you all before I start making a bunch of adjustments and really throw something off. I am a novice to the tuning part of archery. Is there any info you can give me to quickly diagnose a possible alignment problem? I appreciate any help! Just wanting to get ready for hunting season...at least up to the point of human error :)

2. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take it to the shop and have them set it at centershot, then just walkback tune it and youll be good to go. BUT, for not shooting for 4 years It could also be a form issue.

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ this ^^^
    Have it checked at a shop (that will set you with 'peace of mind' - which IMHO is critical in making good shots). Then just shoot. You might want to have someone at the shop check your form - you could be torquing the bow a 'tad.

Ain't it GREAT to be back in the USA (welcome home) so you can get back in the woods???? :nana:

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it could be that your just rusty.
    Tuning them is not really that difficult , just takes some time.
    You could also find out the specs if your bow and take some measurements to see if anything is out of whack.
    And you can also take it to a shop.
    How many shots do you have on the string?
    Who put your string on?
    The shops that I've gone to after I get something put on a bow they make the minor adjustments to make sure its good to go.

5. USAF Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help! I only have about 40 shots on the string. The guy who put it on was referred to me by a friend. Apparently it is his boss and he used to shoot for Scott's Archery. He did it for free and doesn't own a shop. Does the string installation make a huge difference on alignment and Accuracy? That could be it...???

6. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A new string is a big deal you have timing of your cam/cams. A new peep sight sight that can change your alignment of how you look at the pins. And the arrows going in at an angle is a tell tale sign that you need to have your bow paper tuned. I would definately take it in, having a bow tuned is very cheap and you cant put a dollar sign on peace of mind when that big moment comes!

7. USAF Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took my bow into the shop to get fixed/tuned. I appreciate everyones input. Good luck hunting this year!

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very Good, now... go kill a deer :poke: