Peep Sight Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by scarps23, Aug 18, 2014.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I started bowhunting 4 years ago. A bow shop that I go to said to get a smaller peep sight to improve your accuracy. Is this statement true? His reasoning was that the smaller the peep the less you can have for error while lining up your pins. (I currently look through my peep and align my pins with the peep.....not the housing) I'm assuming he does also. He is a pretty good shooter.

Is this completely wrong or is it another way of doing things. I've been able to shoot fine, but I found out this spring that several guys that I know that shoot 3D very well line up their peep with the sight housing. This would seem to really open up your field of vision and make things a lot easier.

I would like to know people's thoughts on this. What I'm doing works, but if I can improve I would like to. Is the guy at the bow shop wrong?

2. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this is one of those it depends. I like a smaller peep - because it does help with alignment.
    However, it does make it hard to see the level in the pin cage, and can make it harder to see the full circle of the pin cage.

If you have trouble with consistent anchor, a smaller peep can help. If your anchor is good and you're consistent, then a large peep makes it easier to see the entire pin cage.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone changed their shooting and noticed a noticeable difference in reference to what I was originally asking?

4. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always gone with a peep that just allows me to see my entire housing. Im by no means an expert tho!

5. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I size the peep to the sight housing, I use a 3/16 hole.

6. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought a new peep today to fit my housing. For hunting I want bigger sight picture to have more light in my fov. For competition I can see how smaller is better, but I'm out to shoot deer not targets.

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My two cents on this..

Large enough peep to encompass the housing. With that said.. every bow is different with many different factors in play, however; if you can "eclipse" the housing like centering a builders level, and be consistent in form your results should be self evident.