Broadhead tuning question?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just watched a video on YouTube about BH tuning. The with all the different theory's I have a question. If your FP's are hitting perfect and you move your rest, wouldn't your FP's now be off target? The guy in the video said they won't be off target but to me that doesn't make sense. What am I missing? The video is Bow Tuning Tips / Broadhead Tuning by Kenny Parson.

2. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you're center shot is correct.. arrow directly inline with the string-sights as well. If your broad head goes left move rest tiny bits to the right until you are hitting the bulls eye. Field points should hit in the exact same spot.

Simply put if your broadheads fly true your bow is tuned correctly, your bow can be out of tune and still shoot field points well.. but if its tuned with ^ then they will still hit in the same spot

Youtube walk back tuning for broad heads, works really well. There are a 1000 methods to tune a bow, if you have the right arrow for your setup and are using good form a walk back tune will get you there without much hassle and in little time.

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Ok and that makes me feel better about moving my rest. However, I have 2 different BH's - Montec G5's and Toxics. What if the G5's are spot on with my bow as is but the Toxics are off +/- 2 inches left of center? I guess it's realistic that not all BH's fly the same. I'm quickly figuring out bow hunting isn't as straight forward as I thought. I'm really glad I joined this forum. Everyone is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks very much!

4. Sean1

Sean1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yup. Just move the rest in the direction that the broad heads need to go. The broad head will steer an arrow just like fletching. So if the arrow with a broad head leaves the bow a little off center then the fletching will have a harder time correcting the arrow than it would the field points. That's why the BH's will be off the mark. After you get the BH and FP tipped arrows hitting together then just sight your bow in again as you will likely not be on the mark if you moved the rest.

But to add to this. Some bows can be yoke tuned to accomplish this too.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I'm not sure what yoke tuning is but with only about 2 days to work on my bow before season opens, I'll stick with adjusting my rest for now. That I can do. OR I may just stick with my broad heads that are hitting dead on and not using the new ones, at least for the first weekend. At least I have options for now. Thanks for the help!

6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Use your montecs if they are working. I know of several people that really like them.