Release revisit

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by fishsoft92, Jul 30, 2014.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at getting a new release for either this year or the next one. The main problem I'm having is I don't know what kind I want. I've never seriously shot anything other than the wrist strap type, and I've heard all sorts of good things about the hand held and back tension. So, two questions. One, is it too late in the "pre season" to switch releases? Two, what are some good hand held models to look at? Thanks in advance.

2. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The t handle style are the ones I was talking about. The ones like the True Ball Fang. Sorry for any confusion.

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What I would do is buy the one I want to switch to and practice with it everyday. If I don't feel 100% in a month then I'm going back to my old release for the season and will make the switch next year.

I shoot a wrist strap style so I can't help you on that part.

4. benlwilson

benlwilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just made the switch to a T.R.U. Ball Max Pro 4 from a wrist style release. My hunt starts August 16. I made the switch because my hand started going numb when I used my wrist release. One time is stayed numb/tingling for 7 hours. Come to find out I have a mild case of carpel tunnel.

At first I did not like it. Now I love it. I only have two complaints about a thumb style release:

First, when you use proper technique, you cannot control the exact instant when the shot is fired. It is yet to be determined how that is going to go in a hunting situation. True, you can push the trigger with your thumb whenever you want, but when you do it affects accuracy in a bad way. The way you are supposed to shoot it is by putting just a little pressure on the trigger with your thumb and then pulling back with your back muscles. This will cause the shot to fire almost immediately, but, it is still a bit of a surprise each time it goes off.

Second, because it is a bit of surprise each time it fires, I am not able to see my arrows in flight. Before I could watch my arrows because I knew exactly when the shot was going to go off. Now, when the shot goes off, even though I am expecting it, it is a bit of surprise and my eyes generally don't find the arrow in flight before the arrow hits the target. I am getting used to that now, so it does not bother me much anymore. I also am not sure how this is going to play out in a hunting situation. I like seeing where the arrow hits the deer.

My only advice on choosing which one to get is to not get a cheap one. Mine was about $90, but for a thumb releases that is till on the cheaper side of things. With mine the tension screw works loose, over time, making it hard to fire. It has cost me a few lost arrows. I plan on fixing it tonight with some lock-tight. Anyway, I would get a good top of the line thumb release if you are going to do it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014