Expandable broad heads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DoubleLungger97, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DoubleLungger97

DoubleLungger97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    At what draw weight, or fps can I start shooting expandable broadheads. I shoot a mission craze 28 inch draw at 55 pounds???

2. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It really just depends on the broadhead, a good mechanical thats designed for low poundage is the rage 40ke.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is absolutely ridiculous gnat rage markets a 40 KE model. People who's set ups aren't even producing 40ke should without a doubt should be using a fixed head, preferably a cut on contact. And even though 55 pounds is a little more, I still don't think it's enough to guarantee good performance from an expandable head. 60 pounds and up is the threshold in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stick with a fix blade. Just for the extra penetration. I draw 70 lbs and i think i might go back to fix blades but i'm gonna give the killzones a try just cause i'm curious.If i dont get a pass threw i will be switching back to fixed blade. i want two holes. Your arrow will play a part to if your shooting a heaver arrow that will help with penetration.

5. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 60 pounds and I use rage hypodermic and I love it was using t3s but hated the spider clips

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would say anything over 60lbs and you will be fine. Rage Hypodermics are a really good broadhead.

7. CCase26

CCase26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a rage chisel tip last year with 27.5dl and 60lbs and had a complete pass through if that helps you any..

8. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think with a somewhat long arrow and at 55 pounds you should be able to shoot an expandable. Personally I shoot a fixed blade, just because with my arrow weight and poundage I am more concerned with the penetration. My bow is currently at 57 pounds, and should be back up to 60 by the time the season rolls around. 29.5" draw length. Depends on your arrows as well. If you have a lighter arrow, I would definitely go with a fixed blade. Heavier arrows give you that extra penetration so you could probably get away with an expandable.

9. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no guru, but I wouldn't chance shooting a mechanical unless I was shooting plenty of poundage generating enough KE to not have to even worry about it.
    I'd stick to a fixed on the lower poundage myself.

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why would a longer arrow have any effect on whether or not he can shoot a mechanical? Is it because it will be heavier?

11. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whats the advantage of expandables anyways? Arent there fixed blades that fly like field points which is why people want expandables?

12. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree definitely use a fixed blade, I was just recommending maybe the only mechanical he can use if he was really set on shooting mechanical and if he wanted to look it up. I prefer fixed and I shoot 60 lbs.

13. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Not totally disagreeing with what you're saying, but plenty of ladies out there shooting 50# and expendables getting the job done. But I also agree I think they are far more effective at higher speeds and more KE.

14. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot rocket hammerhead expandables and shot 2 deer last year and both were complete pass throughs and I shoot 57 pounds.

15. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With all the easily tunable bows and great flying, fixed BH in today's archery world, I see no reason to shoot a mechanical. Except for Turkeys I use NAP Gobbler Getters.

16. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot rage 3blades for 4 yrs and switched to hypodermics last year. I tune my bow to shoot bare shaft with fletched, and fixed blades with field tips. I see no reason to shoot fixed blades :p

Sent from my SCH-I535

17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes & yes but they open on contact to make a HUGE hole. I shot muzzy 3 blades for years & didn't mind them but the blood trails were less than desirable (yes they were good shots). Last year I switched to the killzones & the first doe I shot dropped within sight of my stand. I'd never had that happen before.[​IMG]. I don't see any reason to go back to fixed blades?

18. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinetic Energy is the amount of work needed to do something or cause something to happen. The amount of KE needed to deploy blades on a mechanical broadhead is very, very small. The real amount of energy (or work) needed to do the real work to drive the arrow into the target is to get the wider cutting diameter through the hide, muscle tissue, and bone. A heavier arrow would likely be better than a faster arrow to do this - unless you increase draw weight. Also, KE at the bow does not equal KE at the target. With the arrow decelerating as it goes down range, KE lowers as well. So, the closer the target, the better.

19. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot fixed and expandables. I pretty much use expandables for Whitetail but when I went Elk hunting I used fixed(slick trick). Not wanting to start a war about shot selection and such but a friend I was elk hunting with continued to use the Rage heads we normally shoot, made an approx. 80 yard shot at a big 6 x 6 bull elk with a 60lb. 30" draw Mathews Monster. Complete pass through and dead elk. I would not have believed it had I not been there. He uses fairly light arrows also. Carbon Express Blue Streak 250's. Don't ask how or why because I really don't have an explanation and I am not advocating a shot like this or an expandable for elk but just reporting the facts that occurred.