Draw length ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 180 p&y, Jul 23, 2014.

1. 180 p&y

180 p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    do any of you know how axle length affects draw length? my question: with no other changes how would making axle length 1" longer affect draw length?

2. 180 p&y

180 p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the reason i ask is for a franken bow build. i did one already that worked out pretty seamlessly but i used cams on a bow that had only had 1/8" different axle length and the bow had 1/2 if longer brace height also. i will find out eventually, just wondered if any of you had any experience with this

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Two things to consider:

1- a longer AtA bow has a shallower angle to the string. If you use the tip of your nose on the string as a reference point, this can shorted your DL a bit. Think of the string looking like this ) as apposed to this > for a shorter ATA bow. I think you'll only notice a difference with a large change in ATA though.

2- If you lengthen the ATA without longer strings/cables, it will also shorten up the DL.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done a few franken bows and overall cam circumference will have more effect on DL than the ata.

5. 180 p&y

180 p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put prime pcx cams on a strother rush xt. Axle length on the rush is 1/8" longer than an alloy and the brace height ended up being 1/4" shorter than an alloy so I used spec length string and cables and a can that would have been 29" on an alloy and ended up with 28 5/8" DL. Now I'm wanting to put pcx cams on a hoyt katera xl. I have an idea where I will start just curious for input from others. Thanks guys.