Right-Handed but Left Eye Dominant....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ToddGraf, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ToddGraf

ToddGraf Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys a friend of mine asked me this questions the other day and I though it would make a good post - What are your thoughts?

My daughter and I have been thinking about picking up archery as a hobby (don’t know that we will get to bow hunting anytime soon but who knows!).

Interestingly, both of us are right-handed but left eye dominant. At this point in our minimal experience, we have always shot right hand bows closing our left eye to sight the target. But after doing some reading on this subject, I am thinking that maybe we should try to convert to left hand bows?

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best bet would be to head to a shop and try a lefty.
    Of course that brings in the obvious challenge of finding left handed bows in the first place.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am right handed but completely left eye dominant. I switched to shooting LH 2 seasons ago as I could no longer see both the pin and the target clearly - it was one or the other.

For me the switch was very easy- took me about 2 hours to get to shooting "pretty good" and only about 2 weeks to get very comfortable. It did take me several tree stand sits to get comfortable; but that sounds like it won't be a problem as your friend is not a bowhunter with years of habits and gear placement to break.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go with eye dominance.

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Everything I have ever read states to go with eye dominance.

6. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make the switch and never look back. Do the same with firearms too, especially your shotgun. Cross eye dominance is a killer with a shotgun!

7. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go with eye dominance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right-handed but left eye dominant...yep, that describes me. I've always shot guns right-handed, but bows left-handed. Works great for me.

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with eye dominance. I actually had to shoot left handed with right eye dominance one year because of a right shoulder injury and was able to get up to 25 yard accurate in a few weeks by getting one of the mission bows that had a draw weight range of 30-50 pounds. using light weight allowed me to develop the muscle memory of pulling a bow left handed without straining to pull hunting weight. Then I was able to gradually crank up the weight to a suitable hunting level. shooting left handed I have to close my right eye to keep it from taking over. But it worked while my right shoulder healed. today I'm back to shooting right handed but still take my left handed mission bow to the range to keep the left hand option. good luck with it.

10. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right-handed but left eye dominant. I use to put a patch over my left eye but I learn to shoot with both eyes open.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Go with eye dominance. Especially since both of them are just starting out. They won't experience as much difficulty adjusting as someone might having already developed habits.

Speaking from experience as RH/LE dominant shooter having made the switch back in 2008.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

12. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can re-train your eyes to switch dominance.

13. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i am also left dominance but still shot right hand...like captain71 says should try with both eye shoting..

14. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

My mom is right handed but left eye dominant. She bought a lefty and it seems to work for her. Tim from TAZ Archery did a few tests to make sure she should shoot a lefty and he confirmed it. I think testing it out is the best way to go. It's like snowboarding. One side will always work better than the other.

15. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the same situation I have. I do everything right handed except shoot. I struggled with accuracy when I was young and my local archery shop figured out that I was left eye dominant. Been shooting lefty for the last 23yrs with no problems.