Resighting in bow issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tyler185, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Tyler185

Tyler185 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

I recently got my peep sight lowered b/c I discovered it was too high. It in turn threw off my sight. I am in the process of resighting it in but am having issues. I was shooting way low so I lowered the housing hoping that would do it.

This is what I have run into: The sight housing is as low as it can go and I started to lower the individuals pins but am finding out that I am running out of room to lower them. My pins were set for 20, 30, 40. My top pin is already halfway down the housing and is still shooting a good 8 inches low. There is no way my 30 or even 40 yd pins are going to work. What can I do?

The sight has 3 sets of mounting holes. I have it attached to the bow in the middle set. Would moving the entire sight assembly in or out make a difference?

I have a Mathews Outback with a Montana Black Gold Rush sight.

Any help or insight would be great.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure the peep height is correct? Almost sounds like it is too low now. When you get to full draw draw and anchor normally, do you have to move your head at all to see through the peep?

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What caused you to move your peep in the first place?

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pics will help

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a guess. Your peep it to low. Most times its because you DL is to long. As said pics would help. Show entire body with bow at full draw (DON"T forget to nock an arrow). Aim at shoulder level.

6. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I had an issue similar in the past. I have a long draw length and my previous bows required a cam module to lengthen out over a 30 inch draw. My sight was maxed out and any adjustment to the peep would have resulted in a similar issue. I don't know you draw length, but it may be the problem.

7. Tyler185

Tyler185 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had the peep lowered b/c I was having to move my head up in order to line the peep up with the sight. It feels a lot more natural and comfortable after having it lower. I can draw back and have everything line up perfectly. I feel like I have better anchor points as well.

I know the bows draw length is about a half inch short for me. So I know that doesnt help anything. I dove into the sport head first a couple of years ago without doing as much research as I should have. I was shooting fine with the setup before but I felt like my anchor point was consistent enough with having to tilt my head each time.

I will try and get some photos up tomorrow.

8. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Photos

9. Tyler185

Tyler185 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some pics. Not the best but didn't have anyone around to help.

P1020257.jpg P1020260.jpg P1020262.jpg

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your peep sight is definitely VERY low. To combat that you have a very high anchor point that is causing you to shoot low. Try moving it up a little it so you can have the d-loop level with your mouth and you can still see through the peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with a slightly short DL and my pins tend to be towards the bottom of my site as well. You really have three options.

1- get your bow the right size. Either replace the cam or get a new bow that fits you better.
    2- get used to anchoring higher. With consistent practice it'll feel better (would help if you bring your bow arm in, bending at the elbow instead for stretching your head out)
    3- shoot it how it is and live with your new limited range

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    His DL looks long IMO

13. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You DL is too long. Look how far you are leaning back. It is so long you cant get you hand to touch you head unless you bring it way up. This brings your peep to low to use your sight. Also your release arm should be inline with you arrow. looking from the back. Your elbow is behind your head.....DL to long. Go 1" shorter and see. Also next time you take a pic, put on a button up shirt. Then you can see if your upper body is straight up. Also aim at the wall the same height as your chin (arrow to be level, not pointed down). And take one from the back just above your head.

Do you know anyone with a shorter DL to try. If you were close to me I would gladly let you try one of mine. It seems I have bows now that have 27-29.5" DL. Funny how when I get a bow press I get all my buddy's bows to work on. Same thing happened when I bought a 16' HD trailer......lots of new friends.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oops, I didn't see that he had posted photos.

The way you are set up definitely has you in a long draw. I think the bow may be fine though. Try shortening your wrist strap or even try using a thumb triggered release.That and lowering your anchor should keep your shoulder strong at anchor and place the sting at the tip of your nose

Imagine the guy pictured below. If he kept his nose on the the string and raised his anchor point, his body and head would have to stretch out as his nose traveled down the string making it seem like a longer DL.

[​IMG]

15. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I agree with the way too long of draw length which gives you the comfort feeling of having the string waaay up on the side of your face. Most people I know shoot with their hand just under the jaw bone with index finger knuckle right there and string touching the tip of your nose. The closer the arrow is to the eye, the closer the sight is to the arrow....

16. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for draw length being too long.

Looks like you could shorten it an inch and still be fine. My old bow was set way too long for me and I had a similar anchor to yours. My new bow was setup correctly and now the string barely touches the end of my nose at anchor. Feels so much better and just fits right. Try it and I think you'll agree.

17. Tyler185

Tyler185 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I find it weird that my draw length is too long. The bow is set for 29'' and "measured" I have a draw length of 30''. This was determined by measuring my arm span and dividing by 2.5. I think it can be shortened to 28.5'' so I will give that a try and see if I notice a difference. Will I still need to raise the peep after shortening the draw length?

18. Tyler185

Tyler185 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just shortened the DL to 28.5" and the peep is too low now when I anchor. So I answered my own question.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those calculations are not foolproof, they are an estimate. Judging by your pics nothing but poor form can come from the DL shown, not to mention the amount of likely facial interference you are probably getting. According to that math my DL S/B 29.5-30.
    I shoot 28. I bet once draw length is corrected (this may takke a couple adjustments to get right) and the peep gets set you will be all fixed up :)

Your nock point s/b right near the corner of your mouth in most instances. Judging by that pic you are over an inch too long IMO.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The wingspan method is just a benchmark. Shorten up that DL and raise the peep and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk