Bow Sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Chris Hillman, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to get some professional insight on bow sights. I bought a new Strouthers Bow last year (Michigan Made) and it came with a 3 pin sight. The question I have is... It seems a little on the cheap side in my opinion but, then again what do I know, I'm only a second year bow hunter and I haven’t actually harvested anything with it yet. Not sure of the brand right now because I'm at work but the pins on it are plastic. It's a 3 pin sight setup and I was wondering being "new" at this, is there really any reason to have more than one pin?? I understand yardage and such but when I'm practicing on the bag at 25 yards or 10 yards I'm pretty damn close to hitting the bulls eye at either spot. It seems the arrow placement on the target is so close on varying yards less than 25 yards I’m thinking of buying a better all metal sight with a signal pin. I'd really appriciate it if I could get your thoughts on one or three pin sights. I've seen Todd shoot and I've noticed he uses a signal pin as well. Is this because the margin of error is minimal under 25 yards?? Thanks everyone!!

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get a quality single pin fixed sight for very inexpensive. The sight Todd uses is a single pin "slider" or adjustable sight. Meaning it can be adjusted vertically for different yardages. His particular model is over 200 dollars I believe. A fixed single pin is fine for hunting at ranges under 30 yards and is very simple and reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tip maxpetros! I just didn't really see sense of using more than one pin if I wasn't shooting over 30 yards. Maybe next season if I can get a few trophies down but right now I'm know where near that level!! Being a beginner, I'm trying to simplify things and get the best field of view under low light conditions so I can concentrate more on my arrow placement.

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the one pin sliding sight. I forgot to change the yardage from one shooting session to the next. Broke an arrow.....off it came. I also think, my luck I would be fiddling with the yardage and never get a shot. I shot a single fixed pin sight for maybe 20 years. Those days I never shot at an animal father than 20 yards and targets at 30. Now with better bows/arrows and equipment I feel confident shooting farther. For 10 years or so I have been using 3 pins set at 22, 35 & 50. I will only shoot at an animal 40 or less. With 2 pins I am good to 40 with a little hold over/under. I use the 50 to target shoot and in case I have a long shot at a wounded animal (or target to 60). Also with only 3 pins it is easier to see through the sight and less pins to pick the wrong one with the adrenaline pumping.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a single pin adjustable for target. I've had a few times where I've forgot to change from 50yd or more at 20. Usually ends bad. I've thought about going to a single pin for hunting but, just feel way more comfortable using a 3 pin for hunting. I know what my yardages are set at and I know where my yardages are in the woods based on land marks. When a deer comes within range it's just my natural reaction from a product of practice to pick my spot, draw, anchor, aim and release. No adjusting or anything. I just prefer it that way.

I know a lot of people who use a single pin slider and one if the best archers/hunters I know uses a single pin set at 25yd. Swears by it.

Something to try may be to take 2 of your pins out if your 3 pin and set it at 25yd and see how it goes before you spend the money on a new sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Smokeymtnbow

Smokeymtnbow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the sword Centurion sight. Single pin slider, built like a tank and great cs. I switched 2 years ago and love the single pin. Like u said, anything 30 yards and under can typically be shot without moving the pin at all. Hope this helps.