Beman ICS Hunter users:

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dnoodles, Jul 10, 2014.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never shot them before but heard good things and I came across a screaming deal so I decided to pick up a dozen. They're 31" (I draw 30) 340s, and I pull 70 lbs.

My first impression out of the box is they feel noticeably light (and look like they have thinner walls) compared to my CX Maxima Reds and Victory V3s. I don't have a digital scale to actually do the test, but I can definitely feel the difference.

I usually shoot 100 gr heads, but with an arrow this light I was thinking maybe of switching to 125s especially since I am going after elk in the fall. However, I worry that with the thinner wall there may be more flex than I like with the heavier head. Anyone have any head weight recommendations?

I don't have any 125 field tips laying around to check for myself at the moment. just wondering if anyone had any quick insight.

2. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot them at 28 1/2 carbon to carbon. 68 lbs. I shoot the 340s with 100 gr tips. Being longer, I wouldn't shoot 125s. Longer length and heavier tip I think you might be a touch under spined. I would personally rather be over than under

Sent from my SCH-I535

3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    These were my first set of arrows. I loved them and they are very tough

4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not bring a smartaleck; but if you loved them, then why did you switch to the Maxima Reds?
    I'm just curious...I like the Maximas, but once you consider price I sure don't "love them" when compared to the Victorys that I shot previously. To me, definitely not worth 2x the price. I'm hunting out west this year, and all my Maximas are set up with lighted nocks and have the inserts aligned just how I want them with my mechanicals, so I was SOL for my Idaho hunt (illegal) and I don't like messing with arrows that are already tuned, aligned, and glued etc.

So I was looking for V3s when I came across these Bemans. I had just read really good things about the Bemans and when I came across a dozen for under $70 I could not say no. They just feel so light I worry about the KE. But RKN makes a good point that 125s may make me underspined which is what I was referring to when I mentioned there might be too much flex.

I guess I probably won't know for sure until I shoot them while someone who knows what to look for stands at my side and watches.

5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    guess what's weird is per the respective websites, the CX are 9.07 grains/inch whereas the Bemans are 9.3 grains/inch. The Bemans definitely look thinner-walled and certainly feel lighter to me.

6. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They were the second set of arrows i had and i did not have a good experience with them. I don't know if my batch was bad because there was a recall on them a while back but i shot three deer with them and the arrow broke off in the middle all three times. Like you said they have a thinner wall than most arrows. I was shooting 67# with 28 1/2" arrows in the 400's.

7. Bowhunter1997

Bowhunter1997 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot them for a while and i only had one break. That was when i shot my doe and she broke it off while running. I had shot them into trees and fence posts on accident and never had one break. Good arrows IMO.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I go back and forth between them and Easton Carbon Raiders. I shoot both the same and for the price I am impressed. Oh, and I shoot a 100gr G5 Montec with no issues.

9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    well, I had my wife lay out 3 bare arrows (Beman, Victory, and CX) in random order side by side and then I looked at the wall thickness on the insert ends. In better light, they all look pretty much the same.

I then performed a very un-scientific self-flex test and discovered that my Victory's definitely have the most flex (but to be fair, I have shot them hundreds/thousands of times.) The CX are a bit flexier than the Bemans (but I have shot them a bit and to be fair, they are designed with that "flex zone" built in.)

I'll be getting some 125s and test out how the spine behaves this weekend, but I think the original basis of my initial fear is unfounded. Doesn't mean it won't be underspined, but just means that the Beman's won't be underspined any more so than my CXs or V3s.

10. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the 340 ICS Hunters at 68lb, cut to 28.25". I'm using 100 gr heads and they shoot very good off of both of my bows. I have had great results with the ICS, one in my quiver went through 5 deer last year, still flying true and holding the #1 spot.
    As a matter of fact, I just got a dozen new shafts in the mail the other day from Eders.

V

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Well I shot them today w/both 100s and 125s. Not underspined but I am underwhelmed. Could not get them to group consistently. My maximas and victory's shot side by side, the bemans were consistently inconsistent with both field tips and g5 Montec practice heads. One caveat- I was using NAP quick fletch with a helical on the bemans, 2" straight Blazers on the others. Going to throw blazers on 3 of the bemans and see how that works.

As to the 100/125 debate... No contest- 100s all the way. Same penetration at 50 yards and the 125s were hitting 10-12" lower than the 100s at that distance.

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went from CX to Beman hunters and it took a while to get them sighted in. There all I shoot now and there tough but CX are also great arrows so glad to hear what you think.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    They do seem tough as nails. At 40 yds I put one halfway thru a 3/4" kiln dried oak board that is part of my target frame (how I figured out the 125s were shooting so low) and it still had enough KE to go several inches into the target itself. Not a scratch on the arrow although it did break the insert loose.

14. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, I've been out of town and haven't seen you're post until now. But to answer your question, when I let go of the Beman's, I switched to CX Maxima Hunters and really liked them. I feel that they were easier to sight in and got better groups, but then again, it may have just been a boost in my confidence because I am shooting a better arrow. None the less, I'm shooting better which is ultimately what matters. If I were starting out again, recommending arrows to beginners or couldn't afford the CX, I would go with the Beman's.

15. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I order all my arrows from Jerry at south shore archery. They are all spine tested and indexed, marked, and fletched properly. Makes a big difference

Sent from my SCH-I535

16. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting them for the last 10 years. Fly great. Group well. Hit hard. Very durable. I cannot find a reason to switch from them. Plus they are very affordable as compared to some other options.
    If it isn't broke, don't fix It.

17. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 29" 70lb
    28.5" 400 arrows with NAP Spitfire Maxx broadheads. I still shoot feathers. I have had some break in deer, but that doesn't bother me... as long as they fly true and do their job.

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I did some slight tuning Friday and Saturday...I think the Bemans are possibly just not as forgiving as the CX or Victorys. Now all are hitting point of aim consistently helical or straight. Did a lot of broadhead evaluating which I will post in a thread maybe later this evening.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot Bemans for a few years.... IMHO they are far from durable

20. Aubie923

Aubie923 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot them last year. Mine were 400's cut to 29 1/4 " with 100 grain broad heads. They performed OK. I switched to Easton Injexions a couple of months ago. The Bemans are good arrows, but I wouldn't give up my Injections for them.