Building a heavy arrow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by buttonbuckmaster, Jun 3, 2014.

1. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Help a fella out here. I told the guy at the area archery shop I needed some arrows for an upcoming elk hunt. He set me up with some 340 Beman ICS Hunters, cut to 29 inches. I'm planning to use a 125 grain fixed broadhead. Not counting the inserts and fletching, that will have me just shy of 400 grains. I'm shooting 70lbs from my old Mathews LX, which I haven't crono'd, but its no speed demon. I'm more concerned with penetration than FPS. I'd like to be over 450 grains. Should I step up to a 50 or 100 grain brass insert? Possibly a weight tube instead?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    70 lbs shooting a ~425 grain finished arrow with a fixed blade head should do the trick on an elk no problem.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would select a different shaft.
    First off, I don't think the spine of a 340 will work that well with a 125 grain head, 29 inches, and 70 pounds. Fixed blades will not like that at all. Putting more weight up front will just make that worse.

If you went with a 300 spine you could load the front end up with weight until you reached your desired weight. I made a set of velocity pro gold tips weight to 430ish and had a ton of FOC (don't remember the exact).

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to say but your "fella" set you up wrong. Whats your draw length?

5. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    28 DL. I told him the arrow weight I wanted to be at, and he's always been great at helping me tune, set up, etc. When he told me the arrows were what I needed, well, I took his word for it. So what do you guys suggest? Drop back to a 100 grain BH or scrap these and start over?

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed... 340 spine @29 inches and 70 pounds is borderline wimpy for 125 grain head. I definitely would not recommend adding more weight up front, though since you stated it is not a really fast bow... you may get by as is. Test it before you scrap it but 300s would likely be better if you're going heavier up front. I like your idea of dropping back to 100 grain. I just can't imagine how a 100 grain Slick Trick or Muzzy wouldn't do a great job with your set-up.

7. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a similar setup at 27.5" though my bow is faster. I shoot a 27" Goldtip 7595 (.340") w/ 50 grain brass insert weights and 125 grain heads. I am slightly stiff. My finished weight with wraps and 3" fusions is 475 grains and 17.2% FOC. In my opinion this is an extremely efficient arrow for my/our draw length and weight.

8. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    Just talked to the guy at the shop. He said to bring in the arrows he made and he'd exchange them for 300's.

9. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Those 340's are fine if he would cut them down to a proper length. I think 300's are going to make you stiff.

10. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on which chart I look at, some say they need to be 300, some said 340. I'm going there Sat morning to see what we come up with.

11. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am also at 28 dl and 70 lbs out of a Chill R I called Easton and talked to the tech. they told me that I was on the line 400 vs a 330 using a Hexx at 28 in I went with the 330 50gr insert and a 100 gr NAP spitfire .420 gr total and 12 foc so far fly and punch the target just fine. The old set up was a 28.5 Beeman 340 at around 420 100 gr head no insert and they fly the same out of the Chill R IMHO I get.m more punch out of the Hexx setup