ATA/IBO shot in a vacuum

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zedd, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The bow technician at the shop I purchased my bow said the ATA/IBO numbers were determined by the manufacturers shooting their bows in a vacuum chamber. Anyone else heard this? Not that it matters, but just curious.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some bow companies are lucky to have a vacuum cleaner never mind a vacuum chamber. I think he has a little bit of an imagination.
    Hot chronographs, perfect lighting, zero weight on the strings, some optimistic math...all that I can agree with, but a vacuum chamber I doubt.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im with trial.

One of our former members is an engineer at bear, ill ask him to see what he says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

4. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it highly unlikely myself. I have received a lot of information of a dubious nature from this guy and will never patronage that bow shop again. The owner was very polite and obliging, but the guy who set up the bow was a bit of a horses glutenous maxims'.

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is humorous. He must frequent a different archery forum.

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My friend said they use an oheler research chronograph that doesn't need special lighting like other chronos.

No special rooms, just a special chrono.

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My experience with my new Bear Agenda has been great. I am, for the most part, spot on with IBO.

8. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    there are huge differences in chronos, I used them very often playing national paintball. ud chrono on one itd say 300fps then switch to another and it wld reg at 320 they can be that far off based on what your distance from them is, is it clear in front of them, quality of product, even battery charge.....wouldn't surprise me that most people use cheaper ones (mine is).....id imagine companies can afford nice ones that would be way more accurate than your avg local dealers.

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like it would also have to do with significant differences in paintball weight and or the amount of co2 left in the bottle as well as the amount of co2 dispersed on each shot. Not sure how close the tolerances are in the amount of co2 let out with each shot but I am sure it varies pretty much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Humorous indeed.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the actual text. No mention of a vacuum. :D

"We've got a custom Oehler Research chronograph. Its calibrated etc. it uses multiple photoelectric screens and infrared diodes to measure velocity. It doesn't need the perfect lighting like the standard chrono's do. It basically takes the average of the velocities as the arrows pass the photoelectric sheets."

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am wondering if that would even be possible. The bow would explode.

13. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why would it explode? They have fired guns in a vacuum before. Just now air resistance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda disappointing. I went to three different bow shops, the first two were all colossally unfriendly, when it became clear I was going to be making a purchase in 3-4 weeks both shops had the staff literally thank me and walk away. And then there is this guy. Fortunately the cabelas archery dude knows what he is doing and seems to care about his work.

15. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    A bow uses the resistance of the arrow's weight to control the flexion of the limbs. With no weight (in a vacuum) there would be little to no resistance. It would basically be a dry fire on steroids. Unless I misunderstood physics.

16. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And we just jumped WAY off topic...But I've been playing tournament level paintball since the 90's...While paint weight can vary from brand to brand with the amount of fill "paint" inside the ball and shell thickness, as well as the ID of the ball it's self the thing you have to remember is that they are adjustable...As far as the tank theory of how much Co2 "or High Pressure Compressed Air" you will lose velocity when the tank is right at empty but you won't notice a velocity variation between a full tank and a 1/2 empty tank...Also the valve in a specific gun stays open the same amount of time "as long as it's working properly" from one shot to the next, so that means the gun is using the same amount of air on every shot. Now when a tank is right at empty the valve will stick open on some mechanical guns causing it to vent the last little bit of air through the gun, that's mainly because there's not enough back pressure left inside the gun to close the valve. Velocity consistency on a paintball gun mainly comes from the paint to barrel fit and the roundness of the actual paintball itself.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program, lol.

17. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Paintballhunting.com... Can't wait for the video series... nerdorks looking at the camera with weird glasses quoting "Paintball Hunt or Die!" Calling Justin after a great shot, stuttering... "Dude... I just smoked him buddy..."

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A vacuum doesn't negate gravity so would not negate weight of an arrow. There would be virtually no air resistance on an arrow from full draw to arrow launch so the dry fire theory, I don't believe, applies....nor do I think it would effect an arrows speed at the distance chronos are set up from launch.

19. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, You are correct... it would not negate gravity. Still no air resistance though... right? That would have to change the bow's dynamics... oh well... not important... I was just wondering.

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know the answer to that, I wouldn't think it would have much effect.