arrow selection

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zedd, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased my first compound in over 30 years. I am super excited but talking to the bow tech who set up the bow, I am a little let down. First, I was pretty happy with the arrow/broadhead I was going to use: w/ a 27.5" draw at 60# I was going to use a brass insert of 100 grains/ 125 grain arrow and 29" long 340 redhead blackout. Arrow should have a mass of about 505 grains. I figure velocity would be in the 220-230 range. He was pretty down on the selection explaining the arrow would have very little penetration because the KE would be really low. I kinda thought the momentum was a bigger deal in archery.
    Also, the peep sight he installed keep migrating. I think I have a fix for that, but still, it is very loose and shifts around quite a bit. Am I safe to assume this is not supposed to happen?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Penetration/ KE will not be a factor at all. You will be fine and get plenty of penetration.
    Your issue may be being under spined a bit..with
    .340 with 225 grains up front in a 29".
    If your set on that kinda weight up front you probably better off bumping to .300 spine especially if your using fixes blade broadheads.

You peep should not move either laterally or rotate if it's properly installed and you have a well built string as a platform.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  3. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On whitetail sized game you'll get good penetration with that heavy of a setup... Here's one thing you need to consider though, with the parts you listed your loading 225grs into the tip of a .400 spine arrow... That's gonna weaken the spine of the shaft a lot. If your dead set of building that heavy of an arrow with that much tip weight DO NOT buy .400 spine shafts... You'll be better off buying a stiff .300 spine shaft because of the amount of stiffness you lose with a high FOC arrow.
    If your going to a "tech" who can't even serve a peep in correctly then my suggestion is to pass on any other advice he's handing out.
    It's sad to say but I'm gonna say it anyway .... Just because a person works in a shop doesn't mean they actually know a damn thing... Most know WAY less than they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks fellas'. I think I will go with the 300 spine. I appreciate the input.

5. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No problem man...To many people try to build arrows with a lot of weight in the front end up not getting them to tune and most of the time it's because they don't realize how much they weaken the spine by adding all the weight to the front of the arrow.