Peep twisting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Chris1982, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last week I got my bow back from getting a new string put on, since then the peep has been twisting. I have adjusted the d loop but it only helps for a few shots then the peep is twisted again. Is there an easy fix to this? I don't have a bowpress, is this something I should take it back to the shop to fix?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it doesn't settle after a few shots (50ish) ....you either got a string with crappy materials or it was poorly made...maybe a combination of both.

I would run a bunch of shots through it, press it ...retime the cams, and reset the peep.
    If it doesn't stay then I would be taking about a refund or replacement.

3. Chris1982

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I'll probably play with it for another 20 shots or so before I give up then. I'll take it to the shop if it's still messed up, this is my first time doing business with them but they have a good reputation, I'm guessing they want to keep it.

4. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know who made the string?

5. Chris1982

Dislikes Received:
    A little embarrassed to admit it, but no I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would take it back to the shop and tell them. Usually this means you have to many strands on one side and when you draw it twists to the side that has more. There suppose to be even amount on both sides of the peep. or you can try twisting the peep serving or moving it up or down a little bit .But if none of that works its a crappy string that wasnt stretched enough for peep rotation.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    No reason to be embarrassed at all. I would say that's the rule rather then the exception.
    Most guys take a their bow to a shop to be restrung and leave it up to them to order the correct string. The shop either has string builder they use or they order factory strings, which in many cases aren't the best although they are serviceable.

Another option for future reference is to order a set of strings from a top shelf string builder, then take them to a shop and have them installed, or install them your self if you have a bow press.

There are a few really top notch string builders that in most cases can build you a great set at decent price.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If its served above and below and is not tied around the actual peep, you can use the serving to rotate The peep. If you slide the serving up and down slightly it will turn the peep without moving the peep.

I personally don't make any peep adjustments or even tie one in until I have 120 shots through it. I know many people say that 50 shots is enough on a good quality string but, I still do it. I haven't had an issue with peep rotation since I started.

9. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad I seen this because I was fixing to ask the same question. Have to twist it back every 3-4 shots. I know a few people that have the same problem so I figured may be normal, but I guess it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    If your looking for a awesome quality string builder id go through bowstringdepot.com. Hutch is a cool guy and very helpfull in situations like these. His strings are gauranteed and he will build it to your liking and for your bow. hes gona be building my next set real soon i hate the mass produced strings out ive had them all and there crap.

11. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    uhh..

Anyways, this is normal for ANY string that was just put on. You're going to get some stretch which will result in peep movement. This is easily remedied by pressing the bow and realigning the peep and consequently the string loop. It's also in good practice to return to your shop after 100-200 shots on a new set of strings to check timing anyways.

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The serving will settle as well on a new set of strings causing peep rotation. Once things settle, it should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

13. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you dont have much experience with a variety of bows if you really make that generalization. I shot 2000 arrows through a set of 2012 factory G5 Metrao strings and they shot perfect and peep aligned perfect. The 2014 Hoyt strings are BCY X material and my bow never even came out of time during the break in cycle, peep aligned perfectly. There are plenty of good factory strings out there. I would surely not say they are "all crap".

To the OP, id shoot at least 100-150 arrows before worrying about it

14. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    I would put 200 or so arrows through it if its still doing it take it in to the shop. That being said i work in a pro shop and your right i wouldnt touch a hoyt if my life depended on it i shot on a hoyt team for 4 years and had problems with there limbs but im now a mathews tech at a shop we carry mathews , mission , bowtech , elite and ive seen all the mass produced sets and alot of hand made. The mass produced sets are made for every bow out like you said factory strings they were made for that bow from the factory. A serving on one string can be thicker or thiner then the next and my cause issues on one bow and not the next and most will work great . I had a vaportrail set that worked great for awhile with little issues i have the new zebra trophy now and its crap the servings are to thick on the cam causing problems and serving seperating i have 500 shots through it it should last longer being 2 months old only. i see alot of people having problems with mass produced strings at the shop on a daily. But thats what i see and my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  15. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

16. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of suggestions here. Its as simple as this,
    a new string made properly will take only 5 to 20 shots to settle in.
    This settling in is the servings settling in the cam track not the string and cable material.
    A properly made string pre stretched will not be moving especially stretched at the tensions we do.
    The main reason strings have peep twist is because improper stretching time and relax time another reason is longer strings such as single cams. Mathews have a lot of extra serving which done too tight will cause peep rotation.

Here's a helpful hint.
    If the peep is twisting from right to left if you're looking at it from behind the bow, means the top half of the string has more tension than the bottom. So, you need to put a twist into the bottom half of the string.

Hope this helps

Hutch

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  17. trial153

Dislikes Received:

18. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I hear people say factories suck so much it makes me laugh. 2011 Prime Centroid: right at 15,000 shots through it in just over a year before I had tuning issues. How many strings out there wouldn't have issues after that many shots? Replaced them with factories and I have over 3,000 shots and haven't had any issues other than serving separation at the loop. Reserved, problem solved and kept shooting. Had a Hoyt Carbon Element and bought a big names companies strings, 5,000 shots on it and no issues with the strings and cables.

Too many variables to say its a brand of strings when it's left up to the end user to break them in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any factory string will do well if the bow is set up right. But one thing I will have to disagree with is not all companies build good strings. 90% of the string sets we build are for the companies that don't build good strings. The 2 companies you mention Prime and Hoyt are good builders. They are the least of the companies we build for unless the customers strings are worn out. PSE is one of the companies we see a lot of, in fact most of the customers shoot their strings a few months and replace them. This is because they use BCY 8125 it stretches and creeps quickly. So not all companies use good materials for longevity.

Hutch

20. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Ah yes. PSE. I never think about them. I have heard that a lot. 8125 is a lighter "faster" material correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk