Bottomed out sight?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bclark1, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought a used mathews creed. I shot it a little and the previous guy had already sighted it in so it was pretty close. The placement of the peep sight was too high for me when i anchored the same place i had been with my mission craze. I moved the peep down 2 or 3 in. My bow is shooting low now as expected however i have my sight housing down all the way and my 10 yard pin already over half way down and im still shooting low. Is my only option to move the peep back up and change my anchor point? The way i like to anchor is with the fletching touching the crease in my lip. Is this too high? I shot well and had no problems with my mission. Right now the peep is about 3 1/2 in above my nock point.the sight is a montana black gold rush 5 pin sight.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyway you can get a few pictures of you at full draw and of your sight? Sounds like for starters if you use your vane edge as an anchor point they your draw length is a bit long but hard to tell without seeing.

Here is a good shot of me at full draw for comparisons.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394235362.165936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also you really don't need a 10 yd pin. I would just make it a 20 it will help keep that pin a little higher.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

4. kywhitetails

kywhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This would be my first guess as well

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

5. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what was the ata on your last bow? the string angle is a whole lot steeper on short ata bows and therefore the peep is a little higher. i wouldnt change what is comfortable so i will say like the other guys and check your draw length.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to have a high anchor, forcing my pins to be lower. Having said that, a peep that's only 3.5" above the nocking point seems like you might anchor even higher than me.

Have you tried anchoring so the tip of your nose touches the string. The problem with anchoring off you fletchings is that there can be significant variations between arrows from nock rotation to vane placement on the shaft. Anchoring off the string (via nose, or kisser, etc.) will be much more consistent.

Photos definately will help :tu:

7. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well im 6 ft tall with a wingspan of 71 in. I was shooting 29 in draw on the craze but my creed is 28 in. The ata on the craze was 28 in and the creed is 30 in ata. I went a head and moved the peep back up as well as the sight but it didnt feel comfortable. I bought a kissser button and put it on which made it a bit better. Its different than im used to however so is just about everything else on the bow(my first single cam bow). I think with some shooting i will be able to get used to it. Ill post some pictures anyway so you can see what i was doing and my current setup. Im just 16 and pretty much self taught. I try to do most of my tuning and bow setup myself so if anyone sees something thats really wrong with my setup or my form in the pictures please tell me.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to get a 29 or 30" cam for the Creed. If the DL is short, you could be forced to have a higher anchor so you can reach the string with your face. That and your arm will be bent.

I'm 6'2" and my 30" Creed is still short (though I like a bit of a short draw).

Wouldn't hurt to go to a shop and get measured.

9. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    bow1.jpg bow2.jpg bow3.jpg bow4.jpg

Thanks I was planning on buying a 29 in cam sometime. Even the fletching anchor feels a little odd compared to my craze and I think that's its mostly due to the shorter draw.

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im a little confused by the first couple pictures. Why do you have the kisser button next to your nose?

11. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was showing how i used the fletching as an anchor on my old bow. I didnt have a kisser button. I know thats its not really right but it felt most comfortable with my old bow and i shot pretty good groups that way.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, you still wouldn't have to do that. You can get a consist anchor like you do in the last couple pictures just without the kisser button.

13. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I think I actually like the kisser I'm just not used to anchoring that low so it feels a bit different. I have used the fletching as an anchor point and anchored high for so long I guess I'm just not used to the new anchor point I have to use with my creed yet.

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's good, it helps out and is a nice little reminder. Just keep shooting and it will feel normal.

Sent from my iPhone

15. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help.

16. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well that second sets looks a hundred times better then the first. It is hard to tell in that second set but it still looks like you have your left arm locked. If that is in fact the case I would still say your draw looks half inch to long. Just tough to tell but I would go get it checked.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

17. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Should always anchor, like the second set of pictures.

18. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what my shop did with me but it takes a partner. Draw the bow with your eyes closed. Anchor like you are going to shoot then open your eyes. If your not looking through the peep when you open your eyes is not in the correct spot for you. Have your partner mark where it should be via your direction. They can mark it with a piece of dental floss tied around the string that you can slide up or down. Once you have it marked move your peep and repeat until when you open your eyes you are looking through your peep

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, you definitely have a higher anchor. The second set looks pretty good to me. I don't think you'll need a longer draw at all, but go get measured.

It could just be me, or the photo, but it looks like your release strap is really long? Do you trigger with your fingertip or you knuckle like below?

[​IMG]

I know for me personally, I could never get comfortable with the trigger on my wrist-sling style release. I switched to a finger style and felt much more comfortable. Might be worth trying while you're at the shop if you haven't already. You just may like it :tu:

20. bclark1

bclark1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My draw length feels right but it probobly wouldnt hurt to get measured.The problem is that there is there is only 1 archery shop thats within 3 hours ftom me ant they run weird hours. Next time im there ill try to get measured and try some different releases. I have only shot the wrist strap trigger release so thats all i know. I usually go halfway in between my finger tip, and knuckle, and use it similar to a rifle trigger. I dont know if this the right way but it was working for me. Im slowly starting to wander how i shot so well with my old bow with all my form problems.
    Ive been shooting some more and the lower anchor with the kisser is starting to feel more comfortable.