Mathews vs PSE

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Deanh90, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so I know this forum is filled with mainly Mathews shooters but I was just wondering what ya'lls views are as far as pros and cons between the two brands. I have only shot PSE bows so far and have loved both of em but just wondering what makes the majority of lifetime bow hunters choose a Mathews.

2. BIGROB6480

BIGROB6480 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I went to get a new bow I shot every make out there PSE had rough draw cycle and to me a lot of hand shock after the shot but thats me.

3. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure I'll upset a few with my take but have you ever heard the saying a fool and his money are soon parted? Don't get me wrong about Mathews equipment they make excellent products. That being said ther are many others companies that make equipment that's just as good for a sizeable price difference. PSE, Bowtech, Bear and Elite just to name a few. It all boils down to personnel preference and disposable income.

4. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get me wrong guys. Mathews makes a good product. Had 3 in my time. What I will say about Mathews is that nobody currently can out do their advertising campaign.Makes many shooters think they shouldn't even look at any other brand. Smart on their behalf. More shooter need to realize this.

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont understand why people say mathews are so expensive. All major bow companies are priced the same for the most part. All flagship bows are 900+ with hoyt having a 1400 dollar bow. Mission bows are their mid priced bows. I would see your point if mathews bows were always more expensive then the competitors but they just arent.

6. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned Hoyt, PSE and I felt like I upgraded when I bought my Creed. It is all on what YOU like, and I thought the Mathews bows I tried didn't even compare to my other two. Mathews markets well, but they make a sweet bow that look and feel awesome. What makes you happy will not make others happy.

7. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow was a Bowtech then I got 2 PSE bows but I went today and shot about 6 different Mathews bows and ended up buying the new ZXT. Some of the Mathews bows I honestly just did not like at all but then there were a couple like the ZXT, Creed, and Z7 that I just loved.

8. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the creed and chill. Liked them both, they were very shoot. I don't know about handshock since those were the first compound bows I shot.

I will tell you that PSE DNA wasn't too bad of a draw but there was some handshock, some people say that they don't have any. Between everything I tried, I liked Prime Defy the best and Matthews Creed. Still bought the PSE DNA though, my friend is on the prostaff so he knows all about it. Figure I could mold myself to the bow.

As for pros and cons, to me, PSE offered a substantial military discount, Matthews had a military discount but it was on their older starting bows.

9. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea about the pse military discount. What do you have to do to get it?

10. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    email them. Prob had to send them some info. The thing is now, there are so many on sale at AT that the prices come out to be about the same. Otherwise you have to wait until PSE creates the next batch, as of 2 weeks ago they only had Camo available for immediately shipment.

NAP, CE, Spott Hogg, and many others offer military discounts. Just have to ask.

11. moosemeat

moosemeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    coke or pepsi its what you like,i shoot both and they are both great bow manufacturers

12. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a PSE and couldn't get used to the grip. I just didn't like it at all. I have a Hoyt Rampage XT and a Mathew's Chill, and love them both. But as someone said, they are priced about the same. The shop I deal with most has some brand new Z line Mathews for, $700.

13. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on the shooter. The only Mathews I like is the Helium...the grip I do t like but it handles nice. I prefer PSE over any bow...then Hoyts after that. I love the PSE grips. Mathews make great bows...just not for me.

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All of today's bows are really good. I prefer Mathews. I have had PSE, Bear and my first bow was a Jennings. (Showing my age!) Once I shot a Z7 I was hooked. I am a speed buff so I went with the Z7 Magnum and I am in the process of purchasing an ALL Black Monster MR6.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a PSE before but not a Matthews. I switched to Bear just to be frugul and I believe that just about any bow company makes a decent bow these days - no need to spend a bunch of money just for the name/brand slapped on the side.

16. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot mission but have had a PSE and my Dad had a PSE. My Dad's blew up one day since the string broke. The string was pretty new. My next bow will be a Mathews.

17. dug3324

dug3324 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used PSE for 12 years, then shot the Z7 and fell in love with it, PSE make good bows but I prefer my Z7 now.

18. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow was a PSE Stinger 3G. An opportunity came along that allowed me to buy a new Heli-m. So far I have been very happy with making the switch. I am new to the archery world, so I can't speak to some of the issues folks have mentioned with PSE. I was able to shoot two deer with mine and never really had any major issues with it in the year I shot it. The Heli-m is a much smoother bow and feels more comfortable to me. As was said, it is really a personal preference when it comes down to it.

19. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All of its personal preference. Not even really brand but the models within the brand. I really didn't like most models of PSE except for the Vendetta, and The Bow Madness 3G. The others we either too short or too harsh. Of all the Mathews I have shot over the last couple of the years I didn't like most of them. The EZ7 was awesome though and if I could have got them to knock off a little more money (It was a year old model and they still wanted $775 for it) I would have ended up with it. After going through the process I think about the best thing would be to go shoot a bunch of stuff with a blindfold on and make a decision not knowing what your shooting. I know you really can't do that but I think that would be the best way of really choosing the best bow for you because no matter what looks and the name always come into play even when you don't want it to. Although because of grips I could still tell what name brand most bows I was shooting are. They are all pretty distinctive. Especially PSE and Mathews.

20. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me my first step into a Mathews bow was because of how it felt in my hands, the grip in particular, and the single cam produced no hand shock whatsoever. I am a big fan of their full wood grips, nothing like the warmth of it when holding on to the bow when it's cold out waiting for that shot. Half of the bows I have tried so far this year have been eliminated from my choices in search of a new bow simply because of the grip or too much metal to have to hang onto.