Best compound bow string and string suppressor problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by OKhunter, Jan 29, 2012.

1. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2011 PSE Bow Madness and i am already needing new string lol. I knew going into my purchase that i would need to buy new string fairly quickly because of the low quality string PSE puts on their bows. My question to you guys is what string is the best on the market? I am also having a string suppressor problem. After 5-8 shots or so the screws in the suppressor become loose and it makes a rattling sound when i shoot the bow. I retighten the screws and it shoots fine but like i said i have to repeat the process after 5-8 shots. Is the factory suppressor from PSE not very good or am I doing something wrong?

2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I won't comment on the PSE stuff because I have no knowledge of it.

If that suppressor is vibrating loose, I'd go get some of the non permanent loc-tite and apply to the screws on it. This will keep them snug.

As for the best strings. There are plenty of really good makers out there these days. Vaportrail is my personal favorite and have been shooting them for some time now. Winners Choice is another popular string maker. They're both on the pricey side, but the quality and performance is second to none.

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

3. coyotetrappermo

coyotetrappermo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes lock tight is your answer! I have owned bows from many makers and many had an issue with vibration and screws getting loose, I always check them after every 3or 4th shooting outing if loose they get lock tite and then no worries. I to have a madness XS mine is the 2012 love the bow but had to lock tite the supperssor screws and also the 2 screws on the cam adjustment, no problems since lock tite, a little goes along ways.

Yes I have shot 300-400 arrows through mine and will be looking at a new string after another 300 or so shots, I will go with vapor trail on mine. I will change it all out at once cable and strings should be good for awhile. You will notice PSE recommends a new string every year (12 months). THat can be different depending on how much shooting one does though.

Brands mean little in a hunting bow most will do the job very well and many have great service and warranty's. One of the most popular selling bows in the last 4 years has been PSE"s Bow madness line that is a fact. 2 companies I would never buy from are mathews and bowtech. Their arrogance proceeds them and the price for a hunting bow is out of sight IMO, many bow makers making fine hunting rigs for far less money. Plus Mathews worked over a friend who used to sell their bows. I would go back to a hickory stick and dacron before I ever did business with Mathews (Personel opinion).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would look no further than InnerX for your strings. We offer a 6 month warranty and guarantee against creep, serving separation, and peep rotation on our strings. We offer all BCY colors. Give us a call 207 441 4198.

As far as the suppressor issue, I would recommend using some loc-tite on the screws and also make sure that the gap between the suppressor and your string is not more than the thickness of a credit card. Loc-tite should cure the problem pretty easily.

5. coyotetrappermo

coyotetrappermo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a website for inner X? Thanks.

6. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A website would be great. Also you say the gap between the suppressor and my string? I though there was not supposed to be a gap. My sting is butted up against my suppressor. Is this wrong?

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. PSE has a terrible habit of setting their suppressors way to close to the string. Loosen the set screws, spin the suppressor rod 180 degrees, shorten by one hole and re-tighten.

8. coyotetrappermo

coyotetrappermo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    According to PSE specs in the manual your string should just come in contact with the supressor, if not touching how much use does the dampner do? I wouldn't think a bow should have much at all inside deflection, meaning the string going inward past the cams on string release? Mine is set to just make contact with the suppressor and I have heard at most with thickness of a credit card.

9. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting the snot out of Vaportrail Strings for 4 years now without issue. They come fast, to spec, and aren't gonna cost you your first born. They also have a great selection of colors, both in string material and serving. I love their clear serving on colored string, it looks way better than black.

http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/

As far as a suppressor, Mean V Archery is king in my book. He also is a Vaportrail dealer and usually has a sale on the strings.

Check it out http://www.meanvarchery.com

Also, as far as your suppressor goes, I think the general advice on it is to have a 1/16th to a 1/32 between the string and your stop, but I usually just leave mine barely touching. It's when you have it firmly up against that you'll see faster wear.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok then my string suppressor is in too much contact with my string. It is firmly against the bow string so i will do the rotation and shorten it up. Thanks guys. Oh and i ended up going with Octane String.

11. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  12. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    most all makers make aquality string these days. that being said its all personal preferance i have use jbk strings there good strings an jeff does awsome work. my next set will be from americas best i do beleive i still havnt decided yet