3 pin or 5 pin?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Whitetail_Stalker, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Whitetail_Stalker

Whitetail_Stalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

So I just received a 2007 Bear Element for Christmas and have it set at 65 lbs, should I buy a 5 pin or 3 pin sight for the bow? If so what ranges should I sight in at?

Thanks,
    Haven

2. big buck 12

big buck 12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a single pin hha sight.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends upon what you like. I use a 5 pin - .019 pin sight- with the pins set at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards.
    I would never shoot 60 yards while hunting but I do spend a lot of time at the targets at that distance.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tons of guys love the movable single pin. I use a movable Black Gold 3 pin. In all honesty try to shoot a few before you buy. I got lucky before I bought mine 1 day at the range and had guys in there with HHA, Black Gold and Spott Hogg. I got to shoot and look at all 3 side by side and decided on the black Gold. They don't look quite as nice but are built just as well and are cheaper with tons of options. I am extremely happy with it. Don't know what your budget is but just make sure you stay away from plastic stuff. Trophy ridge makes some really good tough 5 pin sights that won't break the bank. (HitMan line I believe) Then if you decide you just want 3 just take 2 out.

As far as sighting goes most people roll with a 20 yard first pin then go in 10 yard increments from there. You can do it however you want and feel comfortable though.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on where you hunt and your range. If shots won't be more than 40 a 3 pin is perfect. Set at 20, 30 and 40. A slider is great but you have to remember to move it. Sight picture is best with slider but pins are less hassle in the heat of moment and if deer moves.

6. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personal preference on number of pins.

I like and use a 4 pin sight. My pins are set at 15, 25, 30, and 40. A lot of people like their pins set at 20, 30, 40, etc depending on how many pins you choose to go with it.

My pins are set weird because with my low draw weight/short draw lenght, the gap between my 20 and 30 pin was so large that I had a very hard time gap shooting. Having my pins set the way they are has closed the huge gap I had and it's now much easier for me to judge where to put pins for a good shot placement.

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like three pins set at 20 30 40. Only the top two get used for hunting but I can practice out to 50.

I've tried several configurations from one pin to five and several different distance settings of the pins. I always seem to come back to the simple 3 pin setup.

Asking for advice is a good place to get ideas of stuff to try but in the end, it's all going to be trial and error to determine what works best for you.

Enjoy the process.

8. Whitetail_Stalker

Whitetail_Stalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well i got a 5 pin tru glo with a light and I am going to set it up once the module comes in. I may do, 20,30,40,50,60 and only hunt to 40 or so.

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on where and what you hunt. I used to have a 6 pin (20.30.40.50.60.85). Whatever you get, don't set up your first pin any shorter than 20. There is little to no drop between 10-20.

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The nice thing about the five pin is that you can remove/add pins whenever you want. You can play with a lot of different settings with just one sight.

11. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the ranges you shoot. For me, three pins for hunting 20, 30, 40 works and a fourth pin at 50 for practice. but those who hunt longer ranges may find five or more pins helpful. My preference would be to go with the minimum number of pins needed to keep the clutter down.

12. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting, three pins is really all you need unless your out west. I prefer five for 3-D ranges in the summer.