QAD rest hitting arrow/fletchings

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ohsobad_chevy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ohsobad_chevy

ohsobad_chevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the first drop away rest I have owned, so I am not sure how to tune it.

That being said, my arrows are not flying strait, but I am still grouping pretty well. The fletching end of the arrow is wobbling in flight and the arrows are not perfectly strait in the target. I think the arrow and/or fletchings are hitting the rest.

The rest is a QAD hunter, I am shooting Beeman ICS hunter 400 spine arrows with 100 grain tips.

The felt that is on the rest is all fried on the left side and the fletchings have black streaks like they are dragging the rest. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What would cause this problem?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm asuming the way it looks your shooting cock vane up , if thats the case you have the wrong louncher on your rest for that direction , there is a standard and the TL-1 , the TL-1 is for more clearance shooting cock vane down , go back to the standard louncher and make sure while your drawing watch your cams and before you get to the last 1'' of cam rotation that is when your louncher should start to come up , any sooner and your louncher is not dropping fast enough.

3. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    I had the bow set up at a shop and I wasn't even aware that it came with a different launcher. I was told to shoot the cock vane up the way it was set up, which I do.

I guess I am a little confused, you say the TL-1 is supposed to offer more clearance for shooting cock vane down, so shouldn't it clear by a lot with cock vane up?

4. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it does offer more clearance , and no because your hen vanes will be facing up instead of heading in the downward position , dont take this the wrong way but the shop should of told you that , i was a QAD dealer for years when i had my shop and still am , i seen all kinds of problems , yours is minor , that rest does not come with the louncher on it that you have on there right now , you have the alternative one that comes in the package on your bow

5. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    The TL-1 has a deeper throat , the arrow sits down in the louncher further , shoot cock vane down and make sure your timing is right like i mentioned and you will see your problem will be gone , if you want to shoot cock vane up , get the other louncher .

6. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your help.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't follow you 100%. I didn't receive any additional launchers with my rest. That is the one that was installed on the bow when I bought it. Hitting the left side of the launcher can be fixed by moving it to the left, but what do I need in order to fix the other problem?

7. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    Read my post above , and if you want the other louncher that should of been in the package or installed on the rest to begin with from the factory i will send you one , PM me your address.

8. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where is the launcher cord tied to your cable? If you post a pic from the side it would be a big help. If you set the launcher before you draw the launcher will not be full vertical. It will come to vertical in the last inch of draw. If it does not you need to either lower the point of attachment to the cable or if it was tied in you could loosen the screw in the rest and shorten the cord. Either will cause the launcher to come up sooner. If it comes up too you would need to do the opposite. The cord should be tied in to the down cable near the bottom of the grip.

9. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help!!

Well, after some trial and error and a trip to the bow shop I thought it was gtg.

Shooting a while ago and I noticed it is now making a different noise when I shoot. It is almost a slapping noise for lack of a better word? It was not doing that before. Is the "slapping" noise coming from the rest hitting dropping? It is noticeable and very annoying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I replaced the felt that came with the rest, but can't see anything that would cause this slapping noise.

[​IMG]

10. cyokley

cyokley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Paper tune

Your rest is way off you can paper tune ur bow and you will see that the rest is not set right it also looks like your draw cord is hooked to your cables way to low your launcher is coming up to soon when u draw which results in it falling way to late the launcher should be all the way down befor the fletches ever gent there. And do your self a favor and go back to that so called shop and slap the guy that put your rest on for beking lazy and using that p.o.s clamp to secure ur draw cord instead of tying it in. Not only does the clamp slow your bow down but after draw after draw the clamp will move.resulting in the rest changing it's timing.

11. Timeless

Timeless Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First, go to QAD's tech support page here: http://www.qadinc.com/techsupport.php and scroll almost to the bottom where there are instructions for setting up the rest on a Hoyt bow.

Using the TL1 launcher is correct per QAD's instructions. The standard (lower) launcher will cause even more fletching contact. You will have to find the ideal nock point to eliminate fletching contact but it should be around 1/8" or 1/4" high. This might take some effort on both your and the shops part to adjust it.

As for the slapping, 1st make sure the rest is not hitting the shelf.

12. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    For the record i had just set up a Katera Sunday with one of my new QAD's , the HD model off of my rack , and with the standard louncher , cock vane up , and the timing set exactly correct , infact i set it up 3/4'' before full draw and it was driving tacks with zero issues , no contact what so ever .

13. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    The fletching contact is fixed, I finally got it timed right.

I still have a slapping noise that is very annoying. When the bow was originally set up, there was no contact issues and no slapping sound.

I am going back to the bow shop tomorrow to get this thing figured out.

Thanks a lot for the help.

14. Timeless

Timeless Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Hoyt bows you set up with the ultra rest, were you setting the nock high?

15. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    After tuning they ended up real close to 1/8'' nock high

16. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have much experience in setting up bows, but I am learning a little bit as I go. How can I make sure my nocking point is where it needs to be?

I still would like to know what this slapping noise is, I can't really tell where it's coming from. The shelf has rubber on it, so I don't think it's the launcher slapping the shelf as it drops.

Any other ideas of what would cause a slapping noise?

17. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    The noise your hearing could be the internal parts of the rest , i know your using the Hunter model but the LD and the HD with the lock down feature would get jacked up , cock your louncher up and pull it back with your finger and let it fly see if you hear anyhing going on with the rest , i had repaired quite a few through the years and the main problem was from to much tension on the rest , not set up properly .QAD will rebuild your rest for you , and they will send you a loaner in the mean time all you have to do is give them a credit card # and they will send you one to use till they get your rest rebuilt .

18. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    I read that the string is better to be a little tighter than too loose.

Mine shouldn't need rebuilt, it is only a couple weeks old. I have been slinging a lot of arrows though.

I am going back to the shop tomorrow and I will see what I find out.

19. HoytCrx44

HoytCrx44 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same problem

I am having the same problem with my crx 32 and a QAD hd rest. Either shooting odd fletchin up or down. Mine as well will group 4/5 sometimes 5/5.. But they have a circle motion on the knock end in flight. My friend shoots feathers and his doesn't hit. Orchards they are shorter. But blazer veins hit his as well. He also has a crx 32. And I have 2 other friend at the local shop with the same bow. One has the QAD hd an his hits as well. But doesn't change the flight at all. We only noticed because his felt is showing witness marks. One of the Guys has the Hoyt version of the ultra rest and his doesn't hit at all. The only apparent diff is the curve top.

I have not shot mine on paper but it is perfectly straight with the laser, an perfectly
    Level.

If mine is odd fletchin down it hits and if I go odd flethcin up it hits both bottom fletchins and leave marks on the fletchings.

I was at the shop a few hours ago and we made an enormous amount of adjustments and still no luck. We have tried both launchers bot shallow and deep cup, and have messed with the attachment point to the down strings. An mine doesnt begin to raise utill my final inch.

We came up with the idea to come back with some lipstick to put on the end of the fletching to see where exactly it's hitting.

I have read multiple different forums today with the dame problem reported. And with the guys at the shop having this issue. It looks like we may have to buy the Hoyt version. Or a different rest all together.

One forum I read a guy said that he got so frustrated he went to a rip cord and has no contact.. Let me know if you find a cure!

20. ohsobad_chevy

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear that i am not the only one noticing the problem.
    Keep me informed on what your finding out. My flechings still hit my rest but it is very minimal now. I wish I could find a 100% cure to the problem
    I will get a different rest if needed.