2* or 3* helical & FOC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by killer chill-r, Jan 19, 2016.

1. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I ask so many questions. I just like to see what everyone thinks on certain things that I hear. That way I can put together a consensus of thing to try & make the best thing.

What's yall's take on 2* vs 3* helical fetching & what is the best FOC for hunting? I'm kind of a stickler for accuracy & would like to have the most accurate set up that I can put together.

Thanks & sorry for asking so many questions.

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For best BH stability I recommend you use as much helical as you can. I use a Bitz fletcher, don't know the degree.

IMO 12% foc minimum...mine is 14%. Never to much.

Don't be afraid to ask questions....we will all learn something.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Degree of helical or offset is also influenced by your choice of arrow rest. If using a Whisker Biscuit, a straight fletch would probably be best but a small degree of twist will work too.

Of course with a drop away, you can use as much as you want. I had some arrows with a five degree helical once. They flew really good especially in a cross wind.

Personally I prefer a 2 degree offset. Seems to be a good medium between extremes and doesn't rule out the use of a WB if I choose to put it on.

4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like 2" Blazer style vanes on as much helical as they'll allow. With a drop away, clearance should never be an issue and you can get away with it. I like the Blazer style because of their stiffness, which is specifically designed to steer fixed blade heads.

As for FOC, I personally feel anything in the 14-17% range is a good place to start and should yield good results. Some like it even higher.

If you want to play with your FOC, use inserts weights. They are usually brass and screw into the back of the insert. They make a long allen wrench that goes into the nock end of the arrow to screw and unscrew them. This way, you don't have to tear arrows apart, ruin inserts or shafts, and can play around with different arrow setups.

One thing with broadhead flight. I know you didn't ask this specifically, but I believe its well worth mentioning. Make absolutely sure your heads spin true on the arrow with no wobble. If you have heads that wobble on the arrow, it won't matter much about foc or which vanes you use. I personally use a G5 arrow squaring device to square the shaft and then once the inserts are installed, square it. I then test each head on the arrow until I find one that spins perfectly. I can repeat the insert squaring process until I get the heads to spin true. It really is worth the time and effort to do so.

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put the max offset for right helical with a bitburger fletching tool using the Razr 2 inch feather fletching and that arrow spins like a top. have tried different fixed blade broadheads and that arrow just drills it. past 30 yards there is more drop than with the blazers so it does cost some in speed. So for max accuracy I'd go that route. As for FOC I'm running 12-13.

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use 3" fusion vanes @ 2 degrees...495gr total arrow with 160gr up front @ 13% FOC

7. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am using the 2 blazer. With as much helical as I can get. I'm shooting the .250 black eagle renegades 58 gr insert 175 great point 577 total weight. 18.35foc

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

8. SpinNock

SpinNock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Spin is good to stabilize the arrow. The only problem is what happens before the arrow separates from the bow string.

String torque caused by the fletching trying to rotate the arrow during acceleration, and side loading of the bow string caused by more air pressure on the fletching on one side of the bow string than the other due to asymmetrical loading of an arrow with 3 fletchings.

Slow motion videos showing these effects can be seen at spinnock.com and Facebook.com/Spinnocks

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016