Arrows hitting target at a angle

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rambo22, Jan 1, 2010.

1. rambo22

rambo22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I shoot my bow it's like the arrows turn and I look at the target and the arrows have hit the target at an angle. Anyone know the cause of this? Thanks

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a few things causing your arrow to hit an an angle.

1. Your fletching could be hitting your rest or something else on the way out of your bow.

2. Your rest could be out of line with your string.

3. You could have the wrong spinned arrows.

4. You could be torqueing your bow with your grip.

Just a few things to check out.:)

3. wpage

wpage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrows straight?

4. rambo22

rambo22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright thanks a lot guys. I kinds guessed when I put on my arrow rest because if I went to my pro shop the guys there might get a little mad because I didn't buy it from them. So is there anyway I could check for correct allignment without having to go the pro shop? Also what size and arrow weight should I use? My bow is a 60 pound draw weight with a 29 inch draw. The ibo is 315 thanks a ton

5. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your rest out of alignment. ????

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you familiar with how to set center shot?

If the answer is "no"......go to your shop. It could be anything jm said. But unless you know center shot is correct.....you don't know really where to start.

7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Start here....
    Check your grip, are you using and "open hand" grip or are you "choking" the bow. If you hold the bow in the palm of your hand, allow the bow to rest only on the part of the palm at the base of the thumb, then take your fingers, and gently rest them on the front of the riser, preventing you from wrapping your fingers around the bow, thus eliminating a fair amount of torque.

Secondly, are they consistently hitting at the same angle to the same side??? If so, then it's likely a rest issue.

Thirdly, if your arrows aren't spined correctly, that also can cause the torqued flight issue.

Are you having fletch contact??? Check and make sure you're not getting fletch contact if using a rest that contact can be an issue. If so, you need to solve this issue first before attempting to mess with any "tuning" issues.

If you're okay on the above list, then take your bow and do a walk-back tune, shoot the same pin at 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35yds, aiming for the same point, if you get a pattern of arrows that looks like this " / " then the rest is too far to the left and need to be moved right, if the pattern looks like this " \ ", then the rest is too far to the RIGHT, and needs moved to the left. Factory centershot is only good as long as when you shoot the bow at that precise setting, everything shoots perfectly straight, if it don't, then it's not "really" centershot. Once you've done a walkback tune, and made rest adjustments, re-sight your top pin again, and repeat, until the pattern of arrows is in a vertical line " l ", then you're close. After that, then you likely need to BH tune to get the fine-tune one the bow.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    If you simply put the rest on with no adjustments, you need to set centershot. It's not a terribly difficult process. Here's a great write-up on walk-back tuning. Torquing the bow, fletching contact, or inproperly spined arrows can all cause erractic flight. With that being said, are you witnessing erractic flight, or are the arrows simply sticking in the target at an angle? If this is a bag target, and it's new, it's not uncommon for your arrows to stick in the target at an angle. I know on my Morrell Outdoor Range bag, my arrows were often hitting a little sideways into the bag, but it wasn't due to erractic flight.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Again......if you don't have center shot set, correctly,.................."futile" comes to mind (as far as anything scientific you can learn by making adjustments).

10. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Inefficient and less forgiving also come to mind.