Tight Grouping

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by bowhunter448, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing to brag about, but it makes me feel like I'm getting better. Here's after 2 days of messing with my rest and sights trying to get zeroed. Took a little longer because I forgot how to zero sights. It's only at 20 yards, but I feel like I'm getting better
    2013-03-02 15.05.36.jpg 2013-03-02 15.18.23.jpg 2013-03-02 15.18.57.jpg

Just to illustrate why this is a big deal to me, here's the shot group before I remembered basic rifle marksmanship
    2013-03-02 14.07.31.jpg

2. wcm250f

wcm250f Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    May want to try sighting in at ten yards first. Then step back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    after the first 2 arrows in the dirt i would have moved something around.

4. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    When we were sighting my girlfriends bow in today for the first time we started out at ten yards and when it was close we moved back to 20.

She never shot more than 2 arrows before adjusting the sight in the correct direction. It doesn't take too long to do she shot maybe 10 arrows and now she just needs to get used to shooting more and find her style before final tuning. You should definitely not have 6 arrows in the dirt before stopping and adjusting.

5. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I think that I'll try the 10 yards the next time out. Which pin would I use for that? Also, I think the arrows in the dirt was because I was getting frustrated and trying different things without adjusting anything.

6. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Just use your 20 yard pin at ten yards just to get it close. Your bow shouldn't have much drop between 10 and 20 yards. Once you feel comfortable at ten back up to 20 and only shoot 2 arrows at a time before adjusting unless you feel like you flinched or something when you shot.

7. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. Thank you. I will definitely give that a try

8. wcm250f

wcm250f Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are not aware the to pin most people set as their 20 yard pin. Like previously stated you won't have much drop, in fact don't be surprised if once set you shoot your 20 yard pin and you hit high at ten a inch put so. Focus on form and repetition before fine tuning and perfecting your setup.

When frustration kicks in set the bow down for a little bit. Frustration usually just amplifies poor technique and can cause the loss of a arrow or worse

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

9. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Focusing on form once you get it close is very important. Once you are consistently getting tight groups in the same direction I would then adjust your sights.

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I keep drawing on my experiences from the Army, but I feel like my form is consistant because I am getting a consistant group. I do have plans to have an old bowhunter come out and shoot with me to help make sure my form isn't too off.

11. nwflycaster

nwflycaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wreckless, if you were in the army you are well aware of having a proper cheek weld for rifle shooting and how important it is to be exactly the same every time. It's no different with archery, except now it's your anchor point. You jerk the trigger on yor rifle you're going to have a wild shot, the same goes again for archery. Your shot should be a surprise when it goes off, set your anchor in place, aim, and then start squeezing your right shoulder blade towards your left one (if you're right handed) and the arrow will release. This does all depend on what kind of release you are using though and how you have it set up. If you haven't already, I would visit a local archery shop and let them help you get properly set up and even take a set of lessons if you are able. It's a lot easier to learn correctly in the beginning than to have to break some bad habits later.

12. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just some info so your not struggling which way to move your pins... If your shooting left, move your pins to the left... "Chase your arrow"

If your shooting low move your pin down.... "Chase your arrow" with your pins. Eventually they will meet.

As far as your rest... I would let a shop set that up for you... Don't move your rest around, it should be set at Centershot, meaning, exactly in line with your string where your arrow sets level. Let a shop do this... and if they can, have them help you paper tune it, Then your ready to adjust your sight.

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    One of the old bowhunters at work, who laughed when I told them the story, said something along the same lines. If you shoot low, move low. The only reason I did anything to the rest was because I moved it when putting it on. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely itching to shoot some more this weekend

14. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone think that my older bow may be having some effect on my shots and grouping?

15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the string is old and stretched and wonky, your bow could be out of spec.

Take it to someone (like a pro shop) and have it checked over to make sure everything is as it should be.

Beyond that, consistency is key. Check your form and smooth release every time. Don't drop your bow hand until AFTER the arrow has struck the target.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

16. SteveVio

SteveVio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think your bow is to OLD - go buy a new one, it will give you confidence…. :)

17. SteveVio

SteveVio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    oh yeah - your wife can call me to confirm if she need to…… :0

18. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its all in practice I have only been to one national shoot but it is hard to just pick up a bow and shoot it good with out knowing how the bow shoots