Grips

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by RyanW, Jan 5, 2017.

1. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone,

I hope the new year is treating you well. If you have a minute to give me some advice, I really would appreciate it.

I bought a Halon last year and can't make myself like the flat back grip. I also have a drenalin with the old style grip that no one but me seems to like. Can anyone suggest a good grip for the Halon? I've been looking around and to be honest the wrist height has me confused.. I think the Halon is low wristed? Would the older style Mathews grips be considered medium or high? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There was a guy I visited with that used a product that started out like puddy then hardened to make his grip to conform to his style. Is an option to consider if u don't find anything out or contact a dealer. Good luck

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't care for the flat back either. You can remove it and replace it with a Mathews Focus grip or even order a wood grip from a dealer. Either should fit. I put a Shrewd standard grip on my H32. I think you can get them in high or low wrist as well. The addition of the grip did slightly shorten my draw length so something to think about as well.

The Mathews Focus grip is plastic. Shrewd grip comes in aluminum or Delrin. The Delrin is a hard plastic the biggest difference for me is cold. The aluminum will get cold during the winter where the plastic is not so bad.

There a are a few others out there. Any grip that fits a Mathews will fit the Halon.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm running a HDA Pro III grip on my Halon X. You can adjust to wherever you prefer for high/low wrist position, plus it's got great defined edges and a wide flat back on it. I have mine setup so that back of the grip has a strip of self adhesive sanding disk on the back as well. It's one of the best grip setups I've ever shot IMHO.

5. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys, I grabbed a wood grip from the bow shop; however, after looking at the HDA I'm intrigued. I might have to try one of those. Being able to adjust the wrist height like that is a pretty cool feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over the past many years I've bought a LOT of aftermarket grips for bows. I truly feel HDA is the best option I've used in the past. It's definitely a bit more target oriented, and can get cold when you are hunting, but I feel it's a small price to pay for the consistent hand placement I'm able to get out of my setup. I'll likely be shooting a Halon 32 this year to hunt and I'll buy another of these grips for that bow once I get it setup.