Grouping sizes?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Crash, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Crash

Crash Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been putting in a lot of practice time this year. Been shooting almost everyday since last season. My groupings are good for 30 and in but when I move back to 40 I cant get my groups any smaller than 6-8". Any tips on tightening my groups up would be great. Thanks in advance!

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practice. Move back to 50 and try there for awhile. Then move back to 40.
    There also could be some underlying issue. Are they sporadic or consistent groups?

3. Crash

Crash Newb

Dislikes Received:
    the groupings are fairly sporadic at 40. Seems most the time I make a circle around the bull.

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Focus on your form. have someone experienced watch you while you shoot. They might pick up on something.
    But I would move back and shoot there for a week then move to 40 and see if there is any difference.
    I'm sure somebody else will chime in here and give you some better advice.

5. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you are shooting do you start at 40 yds or do you warm up with shots at 20 and 30 yds? Maybe you are getting tired before you start shooting at 40 and it makes it hard to hold steady. Focus on your shot routine and follow thru the shot. Probably best advice was already given have someone watch you. Good luck just keep at it and don't get frustrated

6. Crash

Crash Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually start at 20 and 30 and then move back to 40. Ill try just starting out at 40. Thanks for the advice guys.

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Without watching you I can't tell for sure, but to me is sounds like you are punching the trigger. Trying to hit it as the pin floats over the center of the bullseye. I used to do do same thing.

Be sure to push your bow hand toward the target and pull into the back wall with the release hand. This transfers the weight to your back muscles and reduces the amount of float in th pin. This is the hardest part to figure out just how hard to push/pull for you and your bow. Once you figure it out, your pin will move around less than it is now.

Concentrate on the bullseye but let the pin float over and around it. Then squeeze the trigger.

It takes practice but once you get it down, it will improve your already good groups at 20 and 30. Soon you will have to stop shooting groups.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try not to shoot for groupings. Doing so over the years has cost me a lot of money in damaged and broken arrows. When I used to shoot at the same spot, my groupings would always follow my first arrow. If it went low, my next arrows went low. If I was high or right on the first shot, the rest of the arrows ended up the same. What I was doing was after the first shot I was no longer aiming for the target spot, I was aiming for the first arrows nock. Didn't realize it at the time. You might subconsciously be trying to correct your previous shot.

If your target doesn't have multiple spots, you can get paper targets, or even spray paint. Aim each arrow at a different spot. If you are shooting consistently, each arrow should be in the same relative position to the spot you aimed at.

9. Crash

Crash Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys so I have still been practicing a lot and I figured out a lot of my accuracy problem. I shoot a qad ultra rest and come to find out it was engaging way to early instead of the last about inch of my draw. Well my arrow fletchings were hitting the rest. not enough to leave marks or make the vanes wavy but enough to hinder my accuracy. Got my rest adjusted by a friend and I am shooting amazing now.

10. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When Tuning your bow you should spray talcum powder on the rest. That will show you what's hitting and what's not.

11. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ this.
    Listen to this guy.
    Hard to understand but it does work.
    Practice it X 1000 times.

12. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Arrows are too expensive to risk busting them up. I really like having a multi-spot target. Mine's got one large bull, four medium, and four small. I usually try to avoid putting multiples into a single target but sometimes I can't resist. :)