Stabilizer weight question

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How come it seems like 3d/target archers have a TON of weight on there bow? I have never done a competition, but my hunting setup almost looks more like a 3d setup. I have a 12" stab with .5oz of weight, and a 8" back bar with 1oz added. but it looks like even with those huge stabilizers a lot of the guys still have some amount of weight added.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Balance and stability.

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously. but you can balance your bow without putting 8oz on a 3' stab. Im just trying to figure out why they use so much more weight. Is that much more weight necessary to achieve more stability

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has different balance points and if there happens to be a breeze or anything else that can mess with them they have to account for it in advance. Being used to holding more weight helps them to maintain a stable hold.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest thing is getting the weight out away from the bow. Obviously why you see most target shooters with a stabilizer in the 28-32" range. once you have that length it depends on the bow as far as how it balances to use side bars etc. Some you need them and others you don't.

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think this has become somewhat of a trend. Not sure why. I prefer having more weight under my hand or closer to my grip. It really depends on the stature and stance of the user. Some people are just adding way too much, what I consider to be unnecessary weight to counter small inconsistencies or actual problems with their technique. The function of the weight is to stabilize and balance yes, but you really just need enough to keep your bow from torquing after the arrow leaves the string. If your stance, your grip, string angle and anchor etc. is correct, you don't need to add a ton of weight. Short answer, I believe the longer stabilizer bars just make the bow a little more forgiving. I would prefer perfecting my technique over spending $600 on stabilizers.

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree to a certain extent. Having a longer stabilizer is a really big advantage. Getting that weight out front really slows down the oscillations of your pin allowing you to hold on target a lot steadier

8. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The more weight you use and the further away from the bow you get it, the more the bow resists movement. You have a very odd stabilizer setup. Generally speaking, most archers go for a 1:2 or 1:3 front weight vs back weight ratio as a starting point. You'll never see anyone with more front weight than back weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What! I thought the stabilizer was just to hold the wrist sling in place. ;) Actually I have a 10 inch B-Stinger on my Carbon Icon and it makes a huge difference. The short stubby ones are ineffective as stabilizers, but they do keep the sling in place.