Shooting in competition

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A neighbor of mine walked outside and handed me a flier for a archery range about 45 miles from my house. and they do tournaments. seems like a pretty fun idea to stack myself up against other archers and see how i do. But im super competitive and at least would like to have a idea of how much i need to improve to not make a fool of myself. also i dont know much about shoot tournaments. what ranges are they usually at. and whatever the longest range shoots are. what is a average grouping. also do you need a specific type of bow? it seems like the guys you always see on tv shoot a single cam.

this is my current hunting bow that i would plan on using.
    12003162_10203420569755087_6247032864801573719_n.jpg

2. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What type of tournament ? I've shot indoor 300. (Boring in my opinion. Shooting at paper over and over at 20yards is not for me)
    3D? Imo nothing gets you confident in your setup like 3D. I shoot one almost every weekend. Great for learning how to judge distance. And great anatomy lesson. If I ever have a clean quartered away shot at a Tyrannosaurus rex I know right where to put the pin !! Any archery is fun archery..

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im not sure what type of tournaments they offer. i would do any and all. but i would prefer it to be over 20 yards.

4. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the range I'm a member of does tournaments, outdoors and 3d... ranges from 20 to 90 yards... as for the bow set up... doesn't matter cause they put you in a class for your bow... using a hunting bow you will be shooting against other hunters... they can be great fun, and the 3D shoots are great practice as your shooting life size 3D targets at various distances (without a range finder) on flat, up, and down hill shots...

5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I won shooter of the year, a state championship, placed first in our biggest deer expo, ect... in 2010. Shooting 3D is a ton of fun and like someone else said, it's be best way to become confident in your set up. I never had a "competition" bow, I had my Mathews Z7, HHA 5019, CX arrows and trigger release and did just fine. Though there are some rules that I would imagine vary between clubs and associations, most are going to require you to shoot through a chrono, have at least 3-5 people in your group to ensure no one's pushing the pen, etc... It's a lot of fun. Give it a shot this weekend and let us know how you do. Also, feel free to message me if you have any questions about anything, I'd be happy to help.

6. sharptip

sharptip Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i wish u good luck shoot straight and have fun :tu:

7. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on how competitive you want to be. Although no one "crapped" on indoor archery, no one mentioned how indoor rounds can really perfect your form, shot execution and stamina. Its also a great place to put your nerves in check, to concentrate on drowning out noise. The place where a perfect score gets nothing if you don't have the X count to back it up. Give it a try.

8. x ring300

x ring300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any round or type of bow will be fine all rounds are good for form and helps you know your equipment and learning distance.Most of all go out meet people and have fun