Hard on Arrows

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by TwoBucks, Jul 28, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0463.jpg Last time I shot I turned my bow up all the way, (should be 70) and tonight I switched from 100 gr tips to 125 gr tips. I have been having trouble with my arrows shooting through my Homemade target. My target is cardboard stacked 4' tall and compressed between two boards with ratchet straps about as tight as I could strap them.

I was getting sick of wrecking my fletching so I put a 1/2" piece of plywood behind my target thinking that would "Catch" any try hard arrows. Well it worked for the first one but then I had two that shot 12" through the plywood after going through my target. Granted there are some weak spots in my target but I was surprised and the penetration.

So I went and found some 3/4" treated Plywood and put that behind it instead. This worked a lot better but then on my last arrow the tip stuck in all the way up to the insert ring, and was stuck. This arrow also decelerated so fast that my QuickFletch actually ripped and the front part of the rip slid forward.

Now I'm back to square one with my target. Got and suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just gonna take a random guess here and say even if the cardboard is compressed, the arrow is still slinking in between sheets sometimes, Take that pile of cardboard and turn it the other way I bet it doesn't go through it and the board ;)

IMO YMMV, but shooting at something like that can only lead to poor condition of arrows, weather its the shaft spline, fletchings, nocking inserts loose etc. you will pay for more arrows then if you were to just invest in a nice target ;(.

In Ohio there was a factory that built large Foam products, you could go get a 4x4 block "scrap" of it for $5.. if you shot the same spot over and over you start getting pass thru's. But I made a 1" circle cutout and just spray painted every side with like 20 dots. Plenty to shoot at!

Maybe you have something like that around there?

3. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do yourself a favor and google "lifetime target". Get some chicken wire and 2x4's and have a target that will last years. Oh and throw the damn arrows away that you are shooting into plywood before you hurt yourself or someone else.

4. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously this^. Stop shooting carbon arrows into a target with a plywood backstop.

Spend some money and get at least one of those box store layered foam targets for about $40 or spend a little more and get a dense foam target that will last a few seasons.

Also, your quickfletch did not properly adhere to the shaft if it actually slid forward after a shot. Those things have glue on the inside and when installed correctly (clean arrow shaft, almost boiling water, very slow dip) they don't slip off.

5. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    srsly it's like $40 for a decent target at Walmart. Not worth ruining $100 worth of arrows to save $40.

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A good target is worth every penny. Just in aggravation alone. Even the $40 bags end up being a pain if you shoot a lot.

I work for a target manufacturer. I'm not going to go pushing our products since they aren't on the market until October. I will say this though, buy a good one no matter who's targets they are. Spending $100+ will save you a lot in the long run. Like above said, you could trash and arrow and not realize it until it's sticking out of your skin.

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy yourself a Morrell Outdoor Range bag for shooting your field tips into. It will last years and tens of thousands of shots.

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What everyone else said... Throw the arrows away that were shot into the wood, and invest in a good target.