Arrows for shooting 3d tournaments?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by striker, Jun 12, 2014.

1. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've really been getting into shooting 3d courses lately I've done them for years but strictly for hunting practice just to stay in form. This year I've been really shooting for score so I'm thinking of ways to help improve just the 3d aspect of it and was wondering if there is an advantage to shooting a light arrow to help with yardage miscalculation. I am a fan of a heavy arrow for hunting some where around 450-500 grains and that's what I've been using so I don't know if I should just keep using them or if it's worth it to switch just for competition. Anyone use different arrows for hunting and 3d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at the goldtip series 22 pros. They are a bit fatter but still pretty light. Pretty good arrow for 3D IMHO.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What class are you shooting? Are you shooting events that have arrow restrictions like fletch length, or required screw in points? Are the courses you shoot typically open with lots of wind or are they typically in the woods with little to no wind?

4. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter class don't actually know all the restrictions other than I need to shoot at least a 330 grain arrow and there is a restriction on the thickness of the arrow can't be to big and I believe I can't have a stabilizer that's more than 12 inches. Not really sure of a lot of things they just look my bow and arrows over and tell me I'm good so I never thought about it much till now. It's all new to me really and I have no idea how to set up a bow just for 3d
    Typically wooded courses not much wind. I shoot three different courses they change them up sometimes but usually only one or two shots that are in open fields where wind would be an issue.
    No range finders allowed so I thought a lighter faster arrow would help I misjudged 2 targets last week and shot under them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  5. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'll look into them

6. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know which league you are shooting in? If you can clarify the rules on your class, we can definitely help you get the best setup.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  7. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ibo rules entry level adult hunter class I will find out more at my next shoot that unfortunately won't be for another month due to prior obligations.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are shooting IBO rules then you need screw in points and must be over 5 grains per lb of draw weight. Pro 22's are great arrows but I believe their pin nock systems leave much to be desired and their regular nock systems just won't take the punishment that 3D will put on a shaft. I'd go with a Victory X-Ringer HV in whatever spine you need for your setup along with their pin nock system and inserts. The X-Ringer is a fat line cutter style arrow that will get you a few points. They will be affected by wind though but it sounds like that's not much of a factor for you.

9. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks for the help guys.

10. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use fat boys by easton I love them