Which lens is best for for what target situation?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by CombatHM, Apr 2, 2014.

1. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So all you who have lenses on your target rig, what magnification lens do you use and why?

2. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 3x with a #1 clarifier, I would go much over 4x, the higher the power the more movement your going to notice and the more blurry the target is going to be.

3. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I realized that this is almost a strict hunting community forum. Thank you so much for your input, Sounds like 3x would be best to start off with.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on what type of target venue you are going to shoot. As Aaron mentioned, most 3D guys tend to use lower power magnification. You tend to lose target detail a bit with a higher power lens and most often during 3D you are shooting at a general area relative to a piece of detail on the target like another arrow, shadow, or some line or feature on the target itself.

Most indoor, field, and FITA guys are shooting higher magnification. I was shooting a 6x lens on my indoor rig when I was still shooting a lot indoors.

Keep in mind, unless you are at a spot where you don't have any shot anxiety and can 100% trust the float of your dot/pin, a higher magnification setup won't help at all. It will magnify the movement in your hold.

5. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like its going to make me dizzy. I already wear glasses as is, its a very weak prescription. It already falls off my face and doesn't give me good sight picture... I already shoot well enough without the lens, it's just my sight accepts lenses and wanted to see if this would benefit my shooting.

6. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I'm still battling glasses/lens/clarifier as I too have a low perscription. What I found that works the best for me until I can figure out something better is... 3x lens #1 clarifier WITHOUT glasses. If I put my glasses on, I lose my pin.

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Contacts help a lot. I've never had a problem with them and my eyes are pretty bad. I was using a yellow clarifier with my 6x indoor/fita setups but didn't have to on my 3D setup.

8. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great... I am about to just shoot without nothing on there unless its for indoor.................

9. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love hevi lenses cause it seems to make me slow down when the target moves a lot in housing but 4 is a good starting point