5 Dot competition

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Deanh90, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just got done shooting in my second 5 dot competition, now sitting at the house licking my wounds drinking a beer. Shot a 270 tonight. I know it aint horrible but I know I can shoot so much better than that. There's always next week. Now to the reason I started this thread. Out of those of ya'll who shoot 5 dot what is ya'lls average scores?

2. Yooper

Yooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot five spot league on Friday for the first time. I seemed to struggle with the bottom right for some reason...even missed it high twice :( damn those zeros drop a score fast. Shot 281 30x so I wasn't too upset but it definitely could have been better.

3. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think average scores are usually 280's. The more you do, the better you will do. I've found it's better to pretend your shooting with 100 others watching.... Seriously, concentrate on your form and trigger squeeze. Don't worry about X's, just work on a steady hold. Before you know it, you'll be in the 90's.

4. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my scores just using my hunting rig (2007 Commander, which I still use for hunting) went up when I was helped by shortening my draw length and coached more on using back tension.

my average went up a good 15 points/x's

two fellas at the club really took the time to take me under their wing to make sure i was shooting well.

5. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot much indoors, I'm mainly a 3D guy but I do shoot some Vegas rounds before 3D season to get tuned up. The 60 shots required for 5 spot is tough. That's what makes it tough and it's a huge mental game.

I never shoot any paper rounds with a hunting bow but with my Open setup, I've been as high as 300 w/ 57x and never drop out of the 50's. I would say I average 54-55x and could do more but I've probably only shot 10 rounds the last 3 years.

I shot my first 300 w/ 21x on the Vegas face this past winter. I've shot as high as 26x but was a 299. I usually stay 296-299 but once again, I don't put much time in at all.

If you think the 5 spot game is humbling, shoot a Vegas game (3 spot). It WILL make you better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk