Public Land to hunt in OK

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Benlaverdiere, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Benlaverdiere

Benlaverdiere Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there, I'm new to the forum and am hoping to gain some insight into the public land bow hunting in OK. I live in CO and am planning an out of state hunt to OK for deer in 2016. I was hoping to get some tips on where to go? Or what regions I should focus on for good public land hunting? Any insight or information would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance and best of luck!

2. oobray

oobray Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, not sure what leads you to OK instead of CO, but I'll let you know what little I know of public hunting in OK. The best hunting in the state seems to be the SE portion. There's some public hunting in a place called "Jim Collins WMA". It's pretty good hunting, and VERY popular. The good part is that there's a common campground so you can generally gauge the crowd when you arrive. There's also Black Kettle WMA in the western part of the state. Really the public land in OK is abundant, but it's also VERY, VERY crowded. Also, the SE portion of the state has it's own "personality". People there are great people, but they have their own way of life. The area is also known for meth problems and theft is a problem so keep that in mind. Really big deer down there though. Good luck!

3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest Ft Cobb very high numbers

4. Benlaverdiere

Benlaverdiere Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips, the way the draw system works in CO you may not get a tag in a good zone for a year or two so I'm just trying to find a backup place to hunt.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Good zone is a relative term.
    I'd look for the "one that got away" in a regular zone and spend time scouting and preparing for your drawing in the good zone.