oklahoma public land

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Hanson423, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Hanson423

Hanson423 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im new to hunting and bow hunting, I have a question about hunting Oklahoma public land, so do you just go to a public land area and just park on the side of the road or something and just walking into the woods and find a place to hunt? Any help will be very much appreciated. I live in Edmond, I thought for my first try I go to thunderbird maybe and then go other places.

2. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Google earth man......helps a ton when scouting a new area :tu:

3. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thunderbird has designated parking spots. You also have to go to the ranger station and get a 5 dollar parking permit to park. there are good deer there but most of the good spots are heavily hunted, but go during the week as most hunters have to work so they crowd it at the weekend.........Fort cobb is a great place to start hunting at. They have primitive camping spots and its got a healthy population of deer.

4. Hanson423

Hanson423 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    do you think there's a chance of luck if i just go out there and set up a blind and just hunt from there day same day? I have no one to teach me these things so I'm trying to learn on my own.

5. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^when the rut is in full swing you can kill one in Wal-Mart parking lot, so yeah you could have some success. Are you restricted to hunting on the ground?

6. Hanson423

Hanson423 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't have a tree stand and costly wise I think it would be better for me to hunt from a blind.

7. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A treestand such as a climber will really open up a lot more opportunities if the area you hunt has good mature trees. If its scrubby timber or ag field type stuff then a ground blind would be the way to go. You can look around a lot of times and catch a good climber on sale or used in the classifieds just as cheap as a quality ground blind would run you. Just my thoughts.

8. Hanson423

Hanson423 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thank you, I'll take a look on Craigslist

9. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ground blinds work really well at thunderbird.....however the problem with many public wma's is thieves . i usually still hunt...which is moving very slowly through the woods ....... because i dont trust leaving my stuff for someone to take......but yes a climber is an awsome tool to use also cus it gets your scent off the ground and gives you more area to see.

10. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you go to the wildlife department in okc the thunderbird parking permit is free!! They also have a book for sale that shows all of the public hunting lands in oklahoma.